From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on

http://www.changmw.com:8080/file.extension.hack.jpg

How could it be possible? Look at the file names in the command prompt
and then on the Explorer!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.33.2
From: VanguardLH on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:

> http://www.changmw.com:8080/file.extension.hack.jpg
>
> How could it be possible? Look at the file names in the command prompt
> and then on the Explorer!

You have never created a shortcut that specifies a URL as its destination?
Both .lnk and .url files are shortcuts aka links.

Despite enabling the view in Windows Explorer to show filetypes (i.e.,
extensions), it will still not show .lnk or .url as the extension for those
shortcut files. For example, all your stored shortcuts in the
%userprofile%\Favorites folder (normally used by the web browser) are all
..url files.

They're probably not files at all but instead short entries that fit within
the MFT. For NTFS, files that are shorter in length than 1024 bytes are
actually stored within the MFT since that much space is allocated for each
file descriptor. There's no point in wasting additional disk space for the
file if it can be contained within the MFT that already has the space
allocated for its description. Small files can be "resident" in the MFT, or
they can be "non-resident" where they are stored in additional MFT records
or in extents that lie outside the MFT. Under NTFS, there is no distinction
between the data in a file and the attributes that describe the file. The
data is just another attribute of the file.

As with most configuration of Windows, much of what is possible is not
exposed in the config screens available to normal users. In Folder Options
-> View, there is no option to show .url and .lnk filetypes. There are
several filetypes that you normally cannot get Windows Explorer to show in
its UI (in fact, there are special files and folders that are hardcoded into
Windows Explorer to not show you).

Nirsoft's File Types Manager for Windows
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

This utility supposedly lets you make a filetype visible in Windows Explorer
(by enabling its "Show" attribute). Select a filetype and hit F2 to edit
its attributes. I haven't done this so, as always when tweaking your host,
use at your own risk. You might want to save a backup image of your OS
partition before putzing around inside the registry that modifies the
behavior of Windows Explorer.
From: Ant on
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps)" wrote:
> http://www.changmw.com:8080/file.extension.hack.jpg
>
> How could it be possible? Look at the file names in the command prompt
> and then on the Explorer!

It's normal behaviour. Explorer has its own way of showing directory
content and despite what you might do in Folder Options to unhide
everything, some extensions are not shown.

To see which object types are affected search for NeverShowExt in a
registry editor. InternetShortcut is one and if you look at the .URL
entry in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes you will find a subkey referring to
the InternetShortcut Globally Unique Identifier {GUID}, sometimes
called a Class ID {CLSID}, which is a string of hex digit groups
separated by dashes and wrapped in curly braces.

If you delete a NeverShowExt entry then any file extensions in the
registry referencing the CLSID of that class of object will cause
Explorer to show the extension. This will also become evident in, for
example, certain menu items in Explorer, Internet Explorer, the Start
menu and the desktop.

Pages: 1
Prev: My Yahoo Redirect Problem
Next: t AVAST