From: TJ on
ray wrote:

> That's very possible. In my experience, it's most likely that he simply
> has not tried the right one yet. Some folks think the 'have to have'
> quicken simply to balance a checkbook - I've found gnucash to be a
> perfectly acceptable alternative. Unless the OP gives an idea of which
> apps he 'has to run on MS' it's pretty difficult to assess whether or not
> that is actually the case. He may simply not have looked in the right
> places yet.

Fascinating. When I want to balance my checkbook, I use a calculator. In
a pinch, I use paper, pencil, and my own brain. Old habits I guess.
Using the computer always seems like too much trouble. But then, they
taught me how to add and subtract back when even adding machines were
big, heavy monstrosities far out of the financial reach of many ordinary
consumers, including my parents. Times have changed a bit since then,
but the Old Math still works as good as it ever did.

TJ
From: ray on
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:02:15 -0500, TJ wrote:

> ray wrote:
>
>> That's very possible. In my experience, it's most likely that he simply
>> has not tried the right one yet. Some folks think the 'have to have'
>> quicken simply to balance a checkbook - I've found gnucash to be a
>> perfectly acceptable alternative. Unless the OP gives an idea of which
>> apps he 'has to run on MS' it's pretty difficult to assess whether or
>> not that is actually the case. He may simply not have looked in the
>> right places yet.
>>

> Fascinating. When I want to balance my checkbook, I use a calculator. In
> a pinch, I use paper, pencil, and my own brain. Old habits I guess.
> Using the computer always seems like too much trouble. But then, they
> taught me how to add and subtract back when even adding machines were
> big, heavy monstrosities far out of the financial reach of many ordinary
> consumers, including my parents. Times have changed a bit since then,
> but the Old Math still works as good as it ever did.
>
> TJ

Whatever works. I first went to an electronic checkbook back in the '80's
- on my Commodore 64. I find it saves a lot of aggravation to reconcile
the checkbook and get an updated balance one per month - it never takes
more than 10 minutes. At the end of the year I simply print out a report
of taxable expenditures to work on the taxes.