From: Father Merrin on
I am looking for suggestions in replacing my Windows 2000 shell with a free
alternative and thought I would solicit this group on suggestions.

Any thoughts?

FM
From: Bear Bottoms on
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:57:39 -0500, Father Merrin <fm(a)provider.com> wrote:

> I am looking for suggestions in replacing my Windows 2000 shell with a
> free
> alternative and thought I would solicit this group on suggestions.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> FM

Well let's see....XP, or linux unbuntu?

--
I research freeware http://bearbottoms1.com
From: Father Merrin on

> Well let's see....XP, or linux unbuntu?

XP is not free nor is there a compelling reason for me to upgrade to a
product requiring product activation. Unbuntu on the other hand is nice
but I would prefer to remain in the Windows camp given my current
investment in software.

FM
From: Mark Warner on
Father Merrin wrote:
>> Well let's see....XP, or linux unbuntu?
>

> XP is not free nor is there a compelling reason for me to upgrade to a
> product requiring product activation. Unbuntu on the other hand is
> nice but I would prefer to remain in the Windows camp given my current
> investment in software.

It's not an either/or situation. Dual/multibooting is easy to set up and
increases your options.

--
Mark Warner
lose .inhibitions when replying

From: Jim @ UsableFreeware.com on
Father Merrin wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions in replacing my Windows 2000 shell with a free
> alternative and thought I would solicit this group on suggestions.
>
> Any thoughts?

Haven't tried any of them, but I've heard good things about GeoShell:
http://www.geoshell.org

and they're nice enough to link to a bunch of other free shell replacements:
http://docs.geoshell.org/display/R4/Other+Replacement+Shells

--
Jim Allison
Usable Freeware - www.usablefreeware.com