From: 98 Guy on
According to Microsoft's product life-cycle roadmap, Windows 2000 and
XP-SP2 have now reached support end-of-life status.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO

This presumably means that Microsoft will no longer release security
patches for Windows 2000, which by and large have proven compatible with
Windows 98 over the years since Micro$haft ended support for win-98 back
in July 2006. For those of you that don't know, most of the files
contained within various security rollup packages (particularly Internet
Explorer) released for win-2K have been shown to be compatible with
windows 98, thereby providing indirect support for win-98 along those
lines.

That said, it's never really been proven that windows 98 is or was
vulnerable to the dozens of IE exploits that were addressed by those
patches since 2006.
From: Ted on
98 Guy wrote:
> According to Microsoft's product life-cycle roadmap, Windows 2000 and
> XP-SP2 have now reached support end-of-life status.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO
>
> This presumably means that Microsoft will no longer release security
> patches for Windows 2000, which by and large have proven compatible with
> Windows 98 over the years since Micro$haft ended support for win-98 back
> in July 2006. For those of you that don't know, most of the files
> contained within various security rollup packages (particularly Internet
> Explorer) released for win-2K have been shown to be compatible with
> windows 98, thereby providing indirect support for win-98 along those
> lines.
>
> That said, it's never really been proven that windows 98 is or was
> vulnerable to the dozens of IE exploits that were addressed by those
> patches since 2006.

I think you have to "upgrade" to sp3 to continue XP support.
From: Dan W on
On 7/14/2010 10:33 AM, Ted wrote:
> 98 Guy wrote:
>> According to Microsoft's product life-cycle roadmap, Windows 2000 and
>> XP-SP2 have now reached support end-of-life status.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO
>>

>> This presumably means that Microsoft will no longer release security
>> patches for Windows 2000, which by and large have proven compatible with
>> Windows 98 over the years since Micro$haft ended support for win-98 back
>> in July 2006. For those of you that don't know, most of the files
>> contained within various security rollup packages (particularly Internet
>> Explorer) released for win-2K have been shown to be compatible with
>> windows 98, thereby providing indirect support for win-98 along those
>> lines.
>>
>> That said, it's never really been proven that windows 98 is or was
>> vulnerable to the dozens of IE exploits that were addressed by those
>> patches since 2006.
>
> I think you have to "upgrade" to sp3 to continue XP support.

Yes, support for XP SP3 continues until April 2014 currently. I do
wonder where the majority of previous posters to the 98 general
newsgroup will now go.
From: Bill in Co on
Dan W wrote:
> On 7/14/2010 10:33 AM, Ted wrote:
>> 98 Guy wrote:
>>> According to Microsoft's product life-cycle roadmap, Windows 2000 and
>>> XP-SP2 have now reached support end-of-life status.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO
>>>

>>> This presumably means that Microsoft will no longer release security
>>> patches for Windows 2000, which by and large have proven compatible with
>>> Windows 98 over the years since Micro$haft ended support for win-98 back
>>> in July 2006. For those of you that don't know, most of the files
>>> contained within various security rollup packages (particularly Internet
>>> Explorer) released for win-2K have been shown to be compatible with
>>> windows 98, thereby providing indirect support for win-98 along those
>>> lines.
>>>
>>> That said, it's never really been proven that windows 98 is or was
>>> vulnerable to the dozens of IE exploits that were addressed by those
>>> patches since 2006.
>>
>> I think you have to "upgrade" to sp3 to continue XP support.
>
> Yes, support for XP SP3 continues until April 2014 currently. I do
> wonder where the majority of previous posters to the 98 general
> newsgroup will now go.

They can stay right here, via another NNTP server.

Pages: 1
Prev: Modem (again)
Next: New Windows vulnerability