From: Michael on
Hey guys...

When I play games like Crysis Warhead I want every single percentage
of CPU and Memory my system has to be available. With that in mind I
always kill Aero and Gadgets and anything else that's obviously not
required before I launch a game. I got sick of doing this over and
over so I made two batchfiles to do it for me, saved them in c:
\windows, and pinned them to the top of my Start menu.

Gaming Mode On.bat
sc stop uxsms
taskkill /im:sidebar.exe /f

Gaming Mode Off.bat
sc start uxsms
start sidebar

(uxsms is the "desktop window manager" service)

THE QUESTION: Anyone know how I can disable Windows background
(actually remove the background, but mostly stop the slideshow) from
command prompt?

ALSO: Have any other ideas of stuff I can add to the batch file to
temporarily kill services & processes and improve this?

From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Michael:
> Hey guys...
>
> When I play games like Crysis Warhead I want every single percentage
> of CPU and Memory my system has to be available. With that in mind I
> always kill Aero and Gadgets and anything else that's obviously not
> required before I launch a game.

What for? Do you have such a slow PC that you really need to kill all
this stuff just to be able to play some games? What a waste of time.

Killing Aero doesn't make a difference even on the 5 year old system I
have sitting here, and even less on a more current computer. Which is
obvious if you understand how Windows works as it already puts processes
to sleep it doesn't need (like Aero in a full screen 3D application like
a game).

Let me guess: you also disable SuperFetch because you want as much free
RAM as possible?

Benjamin
From: John Doe on
Benjamin Gawert <bgawert gmx.de> wrote:

> * Michael:

>> Hey guys...
>>
>> When I play games like Crysis Warhead I want every single
>> percentage of CPU and Memory my system has to be available.
>> With that in mind I always kill Aero and Gadgets and anything
>> else that's obviously not required before I launch a game.
>
> What for? Do you have such a slow PC that you really need to
> kill all this stuff just to be able to play some games? What a
> waste of time.

Do you have such an old brain that you forgot the troll reply you
just posted before this?

From: Toolpackinmama on
Michael wrote:

> You're too stupid to be on the internet

Bwa haha ahahahahahaHA!

That's your insult? Come on, show more imagination.
From: William on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 02:53:22 -0800 (PST), Michael <spliffeh(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hey guys...
>
>When I play games like Crysis Warhead I want every single percentage
>of CPU and Memory my system has to be available. With that in mind I
>always kill Aero and Gadgets and anything else that's obviously not
>required before I launch a game. I got sick of doing this over and
>over so I made two batchfiles to do it for me, saved them in c:
>\windows, and pinned them to the top of my Start menu.

We played it with a Core Duo, 4 GB, High Res, all kind of quality
settings and "only" a Geforce GTX 260 and it plays smoothly.

Can you tell us the specs of your PC, just to have an idea because
there's something I can't understand in your post... but before saing
anything I would like more info on this "weird" situation.

Because sounds you want all your CPU like a rule of principle (but you
don't need it).. a kind of fancy thing, but maybe you don't need it.

--
http://shop-for-computer.com

Special prices, best deals, refurbished computers.