From: Christian PERRIER on
Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1(a)burntmail.com):
> I have spent many hours researching and trying many different
> things, starting with this:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7. However, I still cannot
> get Windows 7 Home Premium to connect to a Samba share using
> user-based security. XP works fine. I keep getting access denied.
> Just this evening, I finally tried share level security, and both XP
> and 7 can connect to that, so I'm using that for now.

A good way to get some help could be by sending some debug material,
such as logs obtained by setting "log level = 3" and look in
/var/log/samba files?

Has the Ubuntu box been upgraded from a situation where it was working
well, with an older version of samba?

BTW, this "valid users = %S" thing shoul dbe removed from your [global] section.
"valid users" is a share-level setting and %S is meant to be replace
by the share name.

IMHO, having it in the [global] section can't do anything good. At
best, it is just useless. At worse, this could be the cause of some
problems. Not yours, probably as it is overriden by the "valid users =
guy" setting in [data]....but I would suggest dropping settings that
are piled up in smb.conf *unless* you *know* that there is a need for
them.

On 6/7/2010 1:04 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1(a)burntmail.com):
>> I have spent many hours researching and trying many different
>> things, starting with this:
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7. However, I still cannot
>> get Windows 7 Home Premium to connect to a Samba share using
>> user-based security. XP works fine. I keep getting access denied.
>> Just this evening, I finally tried share level security, and both XP
>> and 7 can connect to that, so I'm using that for now.

> BTW, this "valid users = %S" thing shoul dbe removed from your [global] section.
> "valid users" is a share-level setting and %S is meant to be replace
> by the share name.
>
> IMHO, having it in the [global] section can't do anything good. At
> best, it is just useless. At worse, this could be the cause of some
> problems. Not yours, probably as it is overriden by the "valid users =
> guy" setting in [data]....but I would suggest dropping settings that
> are piled up in smb.conf *unless* you *know* that there is a need for
> them.

Thank you *very* much. That was the problem. Windows 7 now works with
security=user. Ugh. That entry was left over from the initial smb.conf
that Samba provided upon install. I left it in case I wanted to do
something with home directories later. Since I turned off user shares,
I thought that entry would be harmless (though as you say, also
useless.) Turns out I was wrong.

One unrelated (minor) oddity I stumbled across while trying to figure
this out has to do with wildcard expansion. My clients are mainly
Windows boxes. I get the following (N: is the Samba share on the Ubuntu
box):

N:\util>dir ac*
Volume in drive N is data
Volume Serial Number is 0160-027E

Directory of N:\util

04/26/2002 02:44 PM 66 authenejbcp.bat
05/28/2010 10:40 PM 46,899,200 ActivePython-2.6.5.12-win32-x86.msi
11/27/2009 04:49 AM 24,884,830
ActiveTcl8.6.0.0b2.291226-win32-ix86-thre
aded.exe
05/27/2010 03:26 PM 18,941,656
ActivePerl-5.10.1.1007-MSWin32-x86-291969
..msi
4 File(s) 90,725,752 bytes
0 Dir(s) 534,097,600,512 bytes free

I don't know why it thinks authenejbcp.bat begins with "ac". If I do
"dir act*" it only shows the 3 Active* files; if I do "dir au*" it only
shows me files beginning with au, including authenejbcp.bat above.

BTW, this is a fresh Ubuntu install - no previous version.

--
Guy Rouillier
Quoting Guy Rouillier (guyr-ml1(a)burntmail.com):

> Thank you *very* much. That was the problem. Windows 7 now works
> with security=user. Ugh. That entry was left over from the initial
> smb.conf that Samba provided upon install. I left it in case I

Hmmm. If Ubuntu default smb.conf includes "valid users = %S" *in the
[global] section*, this is definitely a bug. However, I really wonder
how it was introduced as the Debian package only has it in [homes].

So, indeed, I doubt this entry is a leftover from the original genuine
install of Ubuntu's samba package.