From: manserv on
I would like to let the users decide which language pack should be installed
on "their" system. With Vista this was no problem. But Microsoft doesn't
deliver MUI packs for Windows 7 through WSUS. What other options do I have?
It should be possible for a standard user (_NOT_ admin mit UAC).

I tried importing the language packs but this fails:

--
Dim iUpdateServer As IUpdateServer
Dim proxy As New AdminProxy

iUpdateServer.ImportUpdateFromCatalogSite("19320806-4280-48FC-8AC7-145B5895EA89", myStrArr)
Catch ex As Exception
Console.WriteLine(ex)
Console.ReadKey()
Finally
iUpdateServer = Nothing
End Try
--
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusObjectNotFoundException:
requested updates in GetRelatedRevisionsForUpdates do not exist on MU
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
WSUS newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services

WSUS Support forum:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/threads

From: manserv on
hello PA Bear,

why are you pointing me to the WSUS newsgroup?

As I said, Windows 6.1 MUI packs aren't offered through WSUS any more and I
am looking for an different solution.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Most of us do not access these
newsgroups via the clunky forum-interface you're using and do not have
instant access to all posts in a given thread. Without quoting, we have no
idea what you're referring to. Thank you.

Add or change an input language (all versions of Win7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Add-or-change-an-input-language

Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running
Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise [only]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: manserv on
Hello PA Bear,

like your first reply my was off topic so I omited citation.

the steps in KB972813 to install MUI packs require administrative privileges.
>> It should be possible for a standard user (_NOT_ admin mit UAC).

"Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running
Enterprise and Ultimate" - but not through WSUS like it is with Vista.
(http://blog.wsuspraxis.de/produkt-support/)

Because Microsoft has abandoned language deployment through WSUS I think I
will have to make msi from the MUI packs that employ lpksetup.exe and use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259459 (How to allow users who are not
administrators to install MSI packages).

Regards.