From: SkyBeam on

SkyBeam wrote:

> Alternatively you might set the following registry REG_SZ value:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\System\DNSClient\NV
> PrimaryDnsSuffix
> Set the value to the desired domain sufix (e.g. "domain.local"). Then
> reboot the machine and see 'ipconfig /all' printing your custom primary
> DNS suffix. However within the system properties you will still see your
> "DOMAIN" listed but it's overridden by the policy value.

I found that this solution does not fully work sometimes Windows still tries
to look up "<host>.DOMAIN" instead of "<host>.domain.local". So I was
looking for the place within the registry which stores the domain name
(which fails to propagate on domain-join) and found it within the TCP/IP
service at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters.
Changing the "NV Domain" to the right local domain makes the domain appear
within the domain join dialog too.

So my modification reg-file looks as follows now:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
; Enable NT-Domain compatibility mode
; Default:
; [value not present]
; "DomainCompatibilityMode"=-
"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001

; Disable required DNS name resolution
; Default:
; [value not present]
; "DNSNameResolutionRequired"=-
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Netlogon\Parameters]
; Disable requirement of signed communication
; My Samba (3.0.33) works with signed communication enabled, so no need to
disable it.
; Default:
; "RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000001
; Disable the usage of strong keys
; Default:
; "RequireStrongKey"=dword:00000001
"RequireStrongKey"=dword:00000000

; [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\System\DNSClient]
; Enforce DNS suffix
; It seems this is not necessary - see below
; "NV PrimaryDnsSuffix"="domain.local"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters]
; Overwrite DNS domain. Usually the domain is supposed to be propagated
automatically
; when joining the domain. But with Samba this does not work (yet).
"NV Domain"="domain.local"

airwofl wrote:

> Did you get a chance to test it with 3.4.0? I have 3.3.7 installed -
> Windows 7 RTM joins the domain (with the primary dns suffix error) but
> cannot log in to as I get the trust error (output in the log.smbd is the
> same as everyone elses). The regkeys mentioned are all applied btw.
>
> I would rather go upwards than downgrade to get this working.

I have posted all my experience and configuration I used within the mailing
list but it never gets accepted by moderators as it looks like. So the
approval is still pending. I've re-submitted all my posts to this mailing
list several times but got tired to re-submit over and over again without
any progress.
Moreover my comments might have been useful some weeks ago but meanwhile
others might have come to the same conclusion (even doing the same work
twice...).

Basically I've been able to identify the problems caused by the issue that
Windows is unable to change the primary DNS suffix. I've also been able to
find a work-around and finally it works quite well for me (using Samba 3.3).
So I've not invested in Samba 3.4 yet. Rather I hope that Samba 4 is going
to be ready some when in the future or Samba 3.4/3.5 is updated to
officially and fully support Windows 7.

I will try again re-submitting all my messages to the mailing list but I
doubt that they will be accepted. Just annoying.

SkyBeam wrote:

> I have posted all my experience and configuration I used within the
> mailing list but it never gets accepted by moderators as it looks like. So
> the approval is still pending. I've re-submitted all my posts to this
> mailing list several times but got tired to re-submit over and over again
> without any progress.
> Moreover my comments might have been useful some weeks ago but meanwhile
> others might have come to the same conclusion (even doing the same work
> twice...).

Hi SkyBeam,

I´m using gentoo too (samba 3.0.33 currently) and would like to know if you
can share your portage overlay for samba 3.3.4. Having same problem with
trusted accounts as reported and need to upgrade...

Thanks!

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Anderson Stano <adurelli(a)dmepc.com.br> wrote:

> SkyBeam wrote:
>>
>> I have posted all my experience and configuration I used within the
>> mailing list but it never gets accepted by moderators as it looks like. So
>> the approval is still pending. I've re-submitted all my posts to this
>> mailing list several times but got tired  to re-submit over and over again
>> without any progress.
>> Moreover my comments might have been useful some weeks ago but meanwhile
>> others might have come to the same conclusion (even doing the same work
>> twice...).
>>

> Hi SkyBeam,
>
> I´m using gentoo too (samba 3.0.33 currently) and would like to know if you
> can share your portage overlay for samba 3.3.4. Having same problem with
> trusted accounts as reported and need to upgrade...

BTW, samba-3.0.36 and 3.3.7 are in portage

http://gentoo-portage.com/net-fs/samba

I have ebuilds for samba in my overlay but do not have 3.4 yet

http://github.com/drescherjm/jmdgentoooverlay/tree/40e634505a76832bc7e9c0a7d78f6f8493ca5fe9/net-fs/samba

John