From: Nate Edel on
willbill <postonNG(a)postonng.net> wrote:
> get it (oem) to install and gave the vendor hell and actually got
> them to give him a full refund even though he'd opened the
> package (he bought using PayPal).
<...>
> I suspected, and still suspect, that he simply did
> something wrong on his install process.

That sounds likely; I can't speak to the first purchase (eBay, right?)
although if it was an authentic new-from-MS OEM disk kit it should have been
fine, but Tigerdirect is a /relatively/ reputable vendor and I'd think the
odds of getting a fake or a recycled one would be quite low from them.

> If I'm wrong then I may be screwed because my
> own purchase from Newegg was more than
> 30 days ago.

Should be fine, modulo the usual driver problems. Just make sure you don't
activate the copy once it's installed until your hardware configuration is
final.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
From: JohnKSmith on

'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
> ;1032688']Windows 7 oem vs retail
>
> Can the less expensive oem version be
> installed by a DIY person like me?
>
> I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
> due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg
>
> Is a separately purchased key or something else
> like that needed?
>
> I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.
>
> Bill

Hi Exports
I don't fully understand how Windows 7 Retail vs OEM. What I
understand is OEM is locked to one computer.

--
JohnKSmith
From: Nate Edel on
JohnKSmith <JohnKSmith.626dda0(a)hardwarebanter.com> wrote:
> 'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
> > Can the less expensive oem version be
> > installed by a DIY person like me?

Yes. Just be sure your computer is in the final configuration you're going
to run with before activating it (/allowing it to activate online.)

> > Is a separately purchased key or something else
> > like that needed?
> > I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.

No. The disk comes with the key - indeed, what you're purchasing is really
the key, the disk could be used to install a retail copy if you had a
second, retail key.

> I don't fully understand how Windows 7 Retail vs OEM. What I
> understand is OEM is locked to one computer.

Yup.

From: JohnKSmith on

'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
> ;1032688']Windows 7 oem vs retail
>
> Can the less expensive oem version be
> installed by a DIY person like me?
>
> I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
> due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg
>
> Is a separately purchased key or something else
> like that needed?
>
> I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.
>
> Bill
Hi everyone
I was curious what the difference was between oem and retail version
software. Here is what I came up with. The oem version can only be used
once on that system and no tech support from M.S. The retail version can
be installed in multiple computers, one at a time.

--
JohnKSmith
From: krw on
On Sun, 9 May 2010 08:26:12 +0100, JohnKSmith
<JohnKSmith.62c239d(a)hardwarebanter.com> wrote:

>'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1032688']Windows 7 oem vs retail
>>
>> Can the less expensive oem version be
>> installed by a DIY person like me?
>>
>> I'm interested in the 64 bit Pro version of Win 7
>> due to it's lower cost; recently $140 from Newegg
>>
>> Is a separately purchased key or something else
>> like that needed?
>>
>> I mean in addition to the Win 7 disc itself.
>>
>> Bill
>Hi everyone
>I was curious what the difference was between oem and retail version
>software. Here is what I came up with. The oem version can only be used
>once on that system and no tech support from M.S. The retail version can
>be installed in multiple computers, one at a time.

....and no tech support from MS.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: AMD "Magny-Cours" super CPU?