From: Steve Mc on
I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if anyone
could answer this question.

I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it. I've
mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any and all
records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want anything
from me on that computer when I return it.

Thanks,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

From: Steve Mc on
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> Steve Mc wrote:
>> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
>> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if
>> anyone could answer this question.
>>

>> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it.
>> I've mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any
>> and all records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want
>> anything from me on that computer when I return it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.
>
> To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
> less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
> hard drive and then re-install the OS. You can do this using the
> original Installation CD.
>
> If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
> data, WipeDrive
> (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S. DoD
> standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives, and
> could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and applications.
> There are also several freeware utilities available for this purpose,
> although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards. Google is your
> friend.
>
> Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Wow ! I didn't expect all that.

I definitely didn't add any financial or personal info, mainly just websites
I visited and my wirleless network key. I guess that's all I was really
worried about.
Can those two tasks be easily done ?

Thanks,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

From: Steve Mc on

> Steve Mc wrote:
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

>>> For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.
>>>
>>> To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
>>> less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
>>> hard drive and then re-install the OS. You can do this using the
>>> original Installation CD.
>>>
>>> If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
>>> data, WipeDrive
>>> (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S.
>>> DoD
>>> standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives, and
>>> could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
>>> applications.
>>> There are also several freeware utilities available for this purpose,
>>> although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards. Google is your
>>> friend.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Bruce Chambers
>>>
>>> Help us help you:
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>>
>>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>>
>>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>>> Russell
>>>
>>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>>> killed a great many philosophers.
>>> ~ Denis Diderot
>>
>> Wow ! I didn't expect all that.
>>
>> I definitely didn't add any financial or personal info, mainly just
>> websites
>> I visited and my wirleless network key. I guess that's all I was really
>> worried about.
>> Can those two tasks be easily done ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> To repeat:
>
> To protect the information and data you've specified from any future users
> of less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
> hard drive and then re-install the OS. You can do this using the
> original Installation CD.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Ok, thanks.