From: Bruce Chambers on
Steve Mc wrote:
> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if anyone
> could answer this question.
>

> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it. I've
> mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any and all
> records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want anything
> from me on that computer when I return it.
>
> Thanks,

For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.

To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
hard drive and then re-install the OS. You can do this using the
original Installation CD.

If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
data, WipeDrive
(http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S.
DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives,
and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications. There are also several freeware utilities available for
this purpose, although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards.
Google is your friend.

Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Bruce Chambers on
Steve Mc wrote:
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> Steve Mc wrote:
>>> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
>>> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if
>>> anyone could answer this question.
>>>

>>> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it.
>>> I've mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any
>>> and all records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want
>>> anything from me on that computer when I return it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.
>>
>> To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
>> less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
>> hard drive and then re-install the OS. You can do this using the
>> original Installation CD.
>>
>> If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
>> data, WipeDrive
>> (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S. DoD
>> standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives, and
>> could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and applications.
>> There are also several freeware utilities available for this purpose,
>> although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards. Google is your
>> friend.
>>
>> Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> Russell
>>
>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> killed a great many philosophers.
>> ~ Denis Diderot
>
> Wow ! I didn't expect all that.
>
> I definitely didn't add any financial or personal info, mainly just websites
> I visited and my wirleless network key. I guess that's all I was really
> worried about.
> Can those two tasks be easily done ?
>
> Thanks,

To repeat:

To protect the information and data you've specified from any future