From: Petar Popara on

I am beginner in PocketPC development. Can you tell me what is the
difference between Windows CE and Windows Mobile? Is Windows CE older and
surpassed OS with far less functionality then Windows Mobile?

From: Ginny Caughey [MVP] on
Petar,

Windows CE is the operating system that Windows Mobile runs on. Windows
Mobile 5.0 runs on the Windows CE 5 OS. Windows CE is a modular operating
system, so devices that are called Windows CE (that aren't also Windows
Mobile or PocketPC or Smartphone) have only whatever parts of the CE OS that
the device manufacturer chooses.

--
Ginny Caughey
..NET Compact Framework MVP

From: Petar Popara on

> Windows CE is the operating system that Windows Mobile runs on. Windows
> Mobile 5.0 runs on the Windows CE 5 OS. Windows CE is a modular operating
> system, so devices that are called Windows CE (that aren't also Windows
> Mobile or PocketPC or Smartphone) have only whatever parts of the CE OS
> that the device manufacturer chooses.

Thank you. Few days ago, I received an answer on one MS newsgroup, claiming
that for Windows CE development I need MS Embedded Visual C++ 4.0 and for
Windows Mobile I need VS 2005.Net. Which kind of apps I can develop for
Windows CE and which kind for Windows Mobile? I belive there is different
"usage scenario"?

From: Ginny Caughey [MVP] on
Petar,

The types of apps you'd develop for Windows CE depend on the exact hardware
and parts of CE that you're working with. As an oversimplification, CE apps
generally target industrial uses while Windows Mobile apps target consumer
uses, but I've written non-consumer apps for Windows Mobile too.

You can use VS 2005 to develop for CE 5.0, but you need eVC to target
earlier versions of CE.

From: Petar Popara on

> You can use VS 2005 to develop for CE 5.0, but you need eVC to target
> earlier versions of CE.

My task now is to investigate possibilities for development for PocketPC. Is
there a way to develop for PocketPC using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition?
Because it is free of charge. I have Visual Studio 2003 Pro, but I don't
know when my (small) company will upgrade to 2005 version. I would need some
free or trial version of development tool for PocketPC to create one simple
app, just to get a "feeling" how it looks like to develop for PocketPC and
to give to my boss some estimation how long development of our PocketPC
project might last.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Bluetooth woes