From: kmkrause2 on
I'm running SQLServer2000 SP4 on two separate servers. The problem I'm
running into is that when I schedule a database backup either through
Maintenance Plans or manually through Enterprise Manager the backup fails
with the error:
"Windows-Delayed Write Error. Windows was unable to save all the data for
the file \Device\LanmanRedirector\<unc path>. The data has been lost. This
error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network
connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere".

I'm backing up to a NAS and using a UNC path to get there. I can copy a file
of the same size through explorer with no problem, it's only when SQL tries
to backup to the network that the error comes up.

In researching this, I've found several articles pointing to various causes.
What I've checked so far includes turning off the write cache setting for the
drives in Device Manager|Disks and changing the registry entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters\enablesecuritysignature
from 1 to 0 to shut off SMB signing. Nothing has resolved the issue as yet.

This problem us also accompanied by System event log error MrxSmb 50 and
several MSSQLServer errors in the application log that all point to write
errors on the destination drive or losing connection with the destination,
but the network connection is fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA
Ken
From: pdxJaxon on
Not recommended backing up to a network drive or share.

can you backup locally and then copy the file up ?

This is what I had to do at a previous job in Orlando.

Greg Jackson
Portland, OR

From: kmkrause2 on
I need to be able to backup to a network device as the local disks that are
of enough size are clustered and inaccessible to anything except the active
node. Backing up to a network share cuts the entire time it takes to restore
from tape out of the loop. This is critical for DR purposes.

Besides the issue isn't whether it's recommended, but what is causing the
problem.
From: Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP) on
Hi

In good hardware, with good available bandwidth, I have never had any
problems.
As an exercise, copy a big (10Gb+) file over the network from your server to
the destination server. Use Explorer or XCOPY. See it this works. now try
copying 2 versions of the file at the same time to the destination. If both
are successful, you should not have a problem.

Networks are un-reliable.

If it is so critical to DR, any reason you are running in a configuration
that is not fully supported?

Have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304261 to see what
MS thinks how you need to do it.

Regards
--------------------------------
Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Zurich, Switzerland

IM: mike(a)epprecht.net

MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/

"kmkrause2" <kmkrause2(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to be able to backup to a network device as the local disks that
are
> of enough size are clustered and inaccessible to anything except the
active
> node. Backing up to a network share cuts the entire time it takes to
restore
> from tape out of the loop. This is critical for DR purposes.
>
> Besides the issue isn't whether it's recommended, but what is causing the
> problem.

Pages: 1
Next: Suspect Database - Please Help