From: John Barnett MVP on
As far as I know Encrypted files can be opened/read on another PC or over a
network providing you have the password/encryption key, so you should be
able to do what you want to do by using another machine; it just needs to be
running EFS which, sadly, XP Home doesn't.

Take a look at this link which may give you a better idea:
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/windows/xpencrypt1.htm

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

From: hheller on
Thanks for your quick response.

If I understand correctly, if I can find another PC that uses the EFS, then
it should be able to restore my backed up files. Correct?

Obviously, someone wouldn't want to risk messing up their computer to help
me decrypt my files. Are there any risks to converting a PC to the EFS? Is
it possible to convert an XP Pro machine to use the EFS and then put it back
after I decrypt my files? Are there any tools that I can install on XP Home
that will allow me to decrypt my backed up files?

Thanks for your help.

Howard.

From: John Barnett MVP on
As I have never done this before I have had to go through the routine. Now
this is what I have done.

1/ I selected a file on my Windows Vista Ultimate partition and encrypted
the 'file' only.
2/ I was prompted to backup the encryption certificate, which I did
following the encryption backup wizard's directions.
3/ I have a copy of Windows XP Pro installed on a Virtual Machine running on
the same computer.
4/ I copied the file over to the VM with XP Pro installed.
5/ On copying the file over the file was no longer encrypted and opened
without any problem. So it suggests that it is only encrypted on 'your'
computer not on another. If this is the case then you should be able to
access your encrypted files from another XP Pro machine.

I have also done a reverse test by encrypting a file on XP pro (no prompt to
backup encryption certificate on XP) and then copied it to Vista where it
opened without any problems and did not have any encryption.

Question:

I am sure the file(s) you encrypted contain personal information which you
don't particular want anyone else to see. However, is there file that you
are not worried who sees the contents? If so, visit my website:
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org and click on the Contact me tab. Send mean
email with the file attached, that is if you are not worried about me seeing
the contents, and I will try it to see I it opens on my system without the
need for an encryption key. If it doesn't then we know where we are going,
if it does then that will be one file you can see the contents of.

If you decide to send me a file please enter 'Support Request Decrypt file'
in the subject line of the email, otherwise the mail will be deleted.

From: hheller on
Again, I'm really impressed with the speed at which you responded to this.

Before sending you a file like you asked, I thought I'd update you on my
status...

I just received my computer back. The hard drive is inaccessible, but they
reinstalled windows XP Pro on my second drive. When I got home, I brought up
the restore utility and opened my backup file and asked that it restore one
of my encrypted files. If you recall, when I tried this on the XP Home
computer, it gave an error saying "The target file system does not support
some the features of the original file system. Some data may not be restored
as a result".

This time, running it on XP Pro, it actually restored the file. Here's the
problem though... The file is still encrypted and although I know what my
account password was (and setup my new XP Pro with the same
username/password), apparently I was supposed to backup my "certificate" as
well (according to the microsoft website discussing EFS). From what I read,
without the certificate, I'm screwed. When I try to click on the folder that
the file was in, I get the "access denied" message. I can't even delete the
folder now!

So, unless you know of a way around this, it seems like I only have one way
of decrypting my backed up data - to bring my broken disk to a data recovery
place and have them retrieve the certificate. Actually, if they can recover
the data from the original disk, then it will be more up to date than the
backup, but if not, I should be able to (somehow) import the certificate to
my new XP Pro and then run the restore again.

Please tell me you know of an easier option. Otherwise, do the steps
outlined above make sense?

Thanks.

Howard.

From: John Barnett MVP on
Hi Howard,

Looks like things have gone from bad to worse. Sadly without the certificate
there isn't a lot you can do. Even data recovery would cost you a fortune.

EFS isn't really my specialty and, to be honest, I'm running out of
suggestions. However, one thing I did come across was this
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/
They do a 30 day trial, so you have nothing to lose in giving it a try and
see what it actually does; who knows it might actually help.

> [...]
>> use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
>> mail/post..
>>

>> "hheller" <hheller(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your quick response.
>> >
>> > If I understand correctly, if I can find another PC that uses the EFS,
>> > then
>> > it should be able to restore my backed up files. Correct?
>> >
>> > Obviously, someone wouldn't want to risk messing up their computer to
>> > help
>> > me decrypt my files. Are there any risks to converting a PC to the
>> > EFS?
>> > Is
>> > it possible to convert an XP Pro machine to use the EFS and then put it
>> > back
>> > after I decrypt my files? Are there any tools that I can install on XP
>> > that will allow me to decrypt my backed up files?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: delete Windows folders and docs
Next: log_fs.log ??