From: hheller on
I have backed up my data on an XP Pro machine that has encrypted data (using
Windows encrypted file system). My computer died and I'm trying to restore
files to a Windows XP Home machine. I get the follownig error:

"The target file system does not support some the features of the original
file system. Some data may not be restored as a result"

How can I get my data restored???

Thanks.
From: John Barnett MVP on
XP Home does not have EFS. As the files are 'encrypted' XP home cannot
un-encrypt them.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

From: Rich Barry on
Was your WinXP Pro machine using NTFS and XP Home using FAT32?

From: hheller on
Both machines are using NTFS.

From: hheller on
If I copy the backup file to a different machine running XP Pro, will it be
able to unencrypt the files or does it have to be on an XP Pro machine that
is also running the Encrypted File System?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> XP Home does not have EFS. As the files are 'encrypted' XP home cannot
> un-encrypt them.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "hheller" <hheller(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have backed up my data on an XP Pro machine that has encrypted data
> > (using
> > Windows encrypted file system). My computer died and I'm trying to
> > restore
> > files to a Windows XP Home machine. I get the follownig error:
> >
> > "The target file system does not support some the features of the original
> > file system. Some data may not be restored as a result"
> >
> > How can I get my data restored???
> >
> > Thanks.
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3