From: Andrea Caldarone on
Hi all,

I have SQL Server Agent and under it I've some jobs that runs with a definde
schedule (they can run at the same time).
SQL Server Agente doesn't belongs to SQL Server Express edition, so I'm
lookig for a way to build a such schema with a .net windows service.
Let's say I need 10 jobs:

1) it is better to have 10 windows services?
2) it is better to have 1 windows services with 10 threads?

in the first case, I need to have 10 different project that installs 10
different services with 10 different name (it is correct?)
in the secound case, how can I tell the service (from the outside) to
start/stop a single thread? I need to use remoting...

Any suggestions are well accepted.

From: Harry Strybos on
"Andrea Caldarone" <fakeandrea.caldarone(a)poste.it> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have SQL Server Agent and under it I've some jobs that runs with a
> definde schedule (they can run at the same time).
> SQL Server Agente doesn't belongs to SQL Server Express edition, so I'm
> lookig for a way to build a such schema with a .net windows service.
> Let's say I need 10 jobs:
>
> 1) it is better to have 10 windows services?
> 2) it is better to have 1 windows services with 10 threads?
>
> in the first case, I need to have 10 different project that installs 10
> different services with 10 different name (it is correct?)
> in the secound case, how can I tell the service (from the outside) to
> start/stop a single thread? I need to use remoting...
>
> Any suggestions are well accepted.
I believe it would be much better to have a single service. A windows
service must contain at least a single thread. The OnStart Method of a
service lets you call to a Method (via AddressOf). From there you can decide
how to handle the 10 jobs

From: kevinp on
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:15:17 +0100, "Andrea Caldarone"
<fakeandrea.caldarone(a)poste.it> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have SQL Server Agent and under it I've some jobs that runs with a definde
>schedule (they can run at the same time).
>SQL Server Agente doesn't belongs to SQL Server Express edition, so I'm
>lookig for a way to build a such schema with a .net windows service.
>Let's say I need 10 jobs:
>
>1) it is better to have 10 windows services?
>2) it is better to have 1 windows services with 10 threads?
>
>in the first case, I need to have 10 different project that installs 10
>different services with 10 different name (it is correct?)
>in the secound case, how can I tell the service (from the outside) to
>start/stop a single thread? I need to use remoting...
>
>Any suggestions are well accepted.

Take a look at this:

http://www.fmsinc.com/freE/NewTips/SQL/SQLServerExpressDatabase/Automated_Backup.asp
From: Mr. Arnold on
Andrea Caldarone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have SQL Server Agent and under it I've some jobs that runs with a
> definde schedule (they can run at the same time).
> SQL Server Agente doesn't belongs to SQL Server Express edition, so I'm
> lookig for a way to build a such schema with a .net windows service.
> Let's say I need 10 jobs:
>
> 1) it is better to have 10 windows services?
> 2) it is better to have 1 windows services with 10 threads?

You should have one service that has 10 threads.

> in the first case, I need to have 10 different project that installs 10
> different services with 10 different name (it is correct?)

Yeah, but you should have 10 threads on timers that go to sleep on
different intervals.

> in the secound case, how can I tell the service (from the outside) to
> start/stop a single thread? I need to use remoting...

No you don't need remoting. You can have a Windows form application in
contact with the Windows service application, sending custom commands to
the service.

<http://arcanecode.com/2007/05/30/windows-services-in-c-sending-commands-to-your-windows-service-part-7/>

You should be able to find VB examples.
From: Saga on
> The OnStart Method of a service lets you call to a Method (via AddressOf).
Can you provide a reference where this topic can be researched
further. I have not found any information about this using Google.
Thanks! Saga