From: GARY little on
Windows XP Home Edition (updated with SP3), IE7 on Dell Dimension 1100

Windows Update hasn't worked since replacing IE8 with IE7 (which I had
before) last week. Related updates for IE7 wouldn't download so I used
Windows Update and was told “The website has encountered a problem and cannot
display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might
help you solve the problem”. They don't, that I've found, and neither does
any post that I've found in this forum. One post suggests manipulating a
folder in C:\Program Files\Windows Update. I don't have a Windows Update
folder in my Program Files or anywhere else - therefore I can't add a
permission for it in McAfee's Firewall (and it's not listed there). Have
disabled Mcafee before using Windows Update but it still didn't work. Also,
there's no prompt in the Update window, to allow their pop-ups or for
permission to install an ActiveX control. Windows Update is a trusted site
in IE7.

If I've missed anything someone will let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

--
GARY little
From: TaurArian on
"GARY little" <GARYlittle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home Edition (updated with SP3), IE7 on Dell Dimension 1100
>
> Windows Update hasn't worked since replacing IE8 with IE7 (which I had
> before) last week. Related updates for IE7 wouldn't download so I used
> Windows Update and was told "The website has encountered a problem and
> cannot
> display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might
> help you solve the problem". They don't, that I've found, and neither
> does
> any post that I've found in this forum. One post suggests manipulating a
> folder in C:\Program Files\Windows Update. I don't have a Windows Update
> folder in my Program Files or anywhere else - therefore I can't add a
> permission for it in McAfee's Firewall (and it's not listed there). Have
> disabled Mcafee before using Windows Update but it still didn't work.
> Also,
> there's no prompt in the Update window, to allow their pop-ups or for
> permission to install an ActiveX control. Windows Update is a trusted
> site
> in IE7.
>
> If I've missed anything someone will let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
>
> --
> GARY little

Have you seen this article:
How do I reset the Windows Update settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Perhaps give that a try.

Or you could search/post to this forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: GARY little on
I have McAfee 9.15.126.0 Security Center, did have Norton, removed approx
four years ago, and had AVG, removed two months ago when McAfee was installed
again. Firewalls are McAfee, and Windows Firewall which is disabled. As I
said, Windows Update doesn't have a permission in McAfee because there is no
folder for it. (There is also no permission for it in Windows Firewall.)
But it won't run with firewalls turned off.
--
GARY little

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling or
upgrading cleanly.

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Now run this three-step fix from McAfee:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507