From: Michel Merlin on
Thx "TaurArian" for your blog entry, permanent link http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2009/07/10/upcoming-update-for-windows-update.aspx "Upcoming Update for Windows Update" (Fri 10 Jul 2009 14:49, unknown GMT Offset), that announces "an upgrade to the two Windows Update and http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate "Microsoft Update" services. As a part of the service upgrade, an update to the Windows Update and Automatic Updates client code will be required. We will start this infrastructure update in late August, and it will take a couple of months to complete..."

This prompted me to revisit http://update.microsoft.com , which failed as before, then http://www.update.microsoft.com , which this time caused installing a new ActiveX (said of 09 Aug 2009!) then installed correctly the 14 pending updates (On last "2nd Tuesday", 13 Oct 2009, MU stopped with an error *even before* starting updating itself or detecting Windows updates).

The adding of "www.", while unlikely the cause of fix, can't be totally excluded, and the continuous upgrade process mentioned in the blog will go on for months, so this post, in addition to a BIG thank to "TaurArian" for getting me out of this nightmare, is also to recall not to stop regularly trying the various entries, as long as you have troubles with Microsoft Update.

Versailles, Fri 30 Oct 2009 13:13:20 +0100

----- Newsgroup ("news" links are clickable in Outlook Express) -----

----- Thread -----
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/e6f0ec779092dc8c

----- Parent Message ("news" links are clickable in OE) -----