From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

> ...I really don't want to use the automatic
> function...so I do an 'Express Install'...

1. Are you aware of the fact that there are Automatic Updates settings other
than "Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install
them"? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

2. You could have avoided downloading the installer for IE8 (and probably a
few other updates you didn't want or need) if you'd chosen the CUSTOM scan
option.

> in my list are SP2 updates for MS Office. I'm thinkin'...wait a
> minute...I
> have SP3 on my machine...why do they want to update SP2, for MS
> Office...

3. You may have Office 2003 SP3 installed but I'll bet you dollars to
doughnuts that the "SP2" update was Office Compatibility Pack SP2. That
being said, what error number was thrown when the Office update failed to
install (e.g., 0x646)?

NB: You could always try installing the update manually using the "FullFile"
installer =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4f97ab2f-1f7d-49a3-9123-7ca3e703b916

4. From your headers: Windows Live Mail 14.0.8050.1202

Who's minding /your/ store? The current version of Windows Live Mail is
14.0.8089.0726.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)