From: ConDumbNation on
Greetings,

I have a strange problem with my Vista laptop.
I can't access any web pages despite the fact that it appears that I
have a successful wireless connection. An IP address has been issued
etc...everything looks normal.
I've tried 4 different browsers and a Magic Jack phone, and none of
them can access the web.
I finally tried to completely reinstall Firefox, and to my shock, that
worked. Now, * only * Firefox can access the web. However, when some
other program activates Firefox, it will not work. For example, I
tried to install a new program on the computer (long after these
problems began), and part of the installation process is for it to
connect to a server for activation and updates etc. The program opens
Firefox, and then will not connect. However, if * I * open Firefox it
connects just fine. I tried to hard wire the connection (no wireless)
and got the same result.
I believe the problems began when I tried to remove a trial version of
Norton 360. I did so using the add/remove programs options. At that
time, I also used msconfig to deactivate several startup processes and
services. Since then, I have reactivated everything I had shut off,
and I tried System Restore several times all to no avail.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might have
happened, and what is still wrong ?
Windows Vista has automated so many processes that I no longer
understand what is going on behind the scenes. So when something goes
wrong, I don't even know where to begin searching for solutions.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
This phenomenon usually means that an active Firewall is blocking access
from other programs.
Check the StartUp and the running process using these two programs.
Make sure that there is No residual process left by Norton and check the
permissions of the current active software Firewall.
StarrtUp & Process Explorer
http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html#startup
http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html#process
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: ConDumbNation on
On Apr 11, 5:58 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <j...(a)discussiongroup.com>
wrote:
> Hi
> This phenomenon usually means that an active Firewall is blocking access
> from other programs.
> Check the StartUp and the running process using these two programs.
> Make sure that there is No residual process left by Norton and check the
> permissions of the current active software Firewall.
> StarrtUp & Process Explorerhttp://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html#startuphttp://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html#process
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "ConDumbNation" <condumbnat...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Greetings,
>
> > I have a strange problem with my Vista laptop.
> > I can't access any web pages despite the fact that it appears that I
> > have a successful wireless connection. An IP address has been issued
> > etc...everything looks normal.
> > I've tried 4 different browsers and a Magic Jack phone, and none of
> > them can access the web.
> > I finally tried to completely reinstall Firefox, and to my shock, that
> > worked.  Now, * only * Firefox can access the web.  However, when some
> > other program activates Firefox, it will not work.  For example, I
> > tried to install a new program on the computer (long after these
> > problems began), and part of the installation process is for it to
> > connect to a server for activation and updates etc.  The program opens
> > Firefox, and then will not connect.  However, if * I * open Firefox it
> > connects just fine. I tried to hard wire the connection (no wireless)
> > and got the same result.
> > I believe the problems began when I tried to remove a trial version of
> > Norton 360.  I did so using the add/remove programs options.  At that
> > time, I also used msconfig to deactivate several startup processes and
> > services.  Since then, I have reactivated everything I had shut off,
> > and I tried System Restore several times all to no avail.
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might have
> > happened, and what is still wrong ?
> > Windows Vista has automated so many processes that I no longer
> > understand what is going on behind the scenes.  So when something goes
> > wrong, I  don't even know where to begin searching for solutions.
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Hi Jack.

Thanks very much for your input.
The only firewall running was the Windows one, and when I turned that
one off, it made no difference.
I also tried selecting all of the startup processes and services; and
then de-selecting them... and nothing changed.
Still, only firefox works, and all the other browsers do not.
Oh well, back to the drawing board...
From: Phil Rhodes on
I think you are on the right track by mentioning Norton. Try using the
"Norton Removal Tool".
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

From: ConDumbNation on
On Apr 13, 12:38 pm, "Phil Rhodes" <pe.rho...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > > services. Since then, I have reactivated everything I had shut off,
> > > and I tried System Restore several times all to no avail.
> > > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might have
> > > happened, and what is still wrong ?
> > > Windows Vista has automated so many processes that I no longer
> > > understand what is going on behind the scenes. So when something goes
> > > wrong, I don't even know where to begin searching for solutions.
> > > Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.
>
> Hi Jack.
>
> Thanks very much for your input.
> The only firewall running was the Windows one, and when I turned that
> one off, it made no difference.
> I also tried selecting all of the startup processes and services;  and
> then de-selecting them... and nothing changed.
> Still, only firefox works, and all the other browsers do not.

Hi Phil,

Yeah, I too think Norton is the root of the problems, but I couldn't
get the removal tool to work properly.
For starters, I couldn't access the Norton server with my Firefox only
browser, so I got the tool using another computer and transferred it
over via flash drive. Then, the tool kept running into
roadblocks...saying things like "can't find folder" etc.
The trouble might be that this was just a trial version of Norton, and
I probably deleted about 99% of it leaving just enough remnants buried
in the registry to wreak the current havoc.
I've pretty much ruled out the firewall as the problem since when I
completely turn it off there is no change in the situation.
Maybe I'm wrong about that...I don't know.
The weirdest thing to me is that System Restore didn't rectify the
problem, even though I'm certain things were running smoothly a month
ago. There's also the fact that the situation doesn't change at all
when I switch from wireless to hard-wired. It really feels like there
are enough clues here to really pinpoint the cause, but I just don't
know how to put them all together. I hope I don't have to wipe the
drive, but I guess I better prep for just that.
Thanks for your input.