From: Peter on
On 07/25/2010 05:29 PM, SB wrote:
> Thanks for your insight Randem - One of my drivers is causing my
> shutdown problem ?
> Could you let me know which driver in particular on my system may be
> responsible ?
>
> I've tried the other proposed solutions given by Mike S without success,
> but I am grateful for his suggestions.
> I guess complete Windows XP re-install should do the trick

Not if it's hardware.

> but I'm
> reluctant to do that unless I completely run out of other options

Try replacing your power supply with one that you know works and see if
the problem persists.

--
Peter
From: Airman Basic on
On 07/25/2010 10:29 AM, SB wrote:
> Thanks for your insight Randem - One of my drivers is causing my
> shutdown problem ?
> Could you let me know which driver in particular on my system may be
> responsible ?
>
> I've tried the other proposed solutions given by Mike S without success,
> but I am grateful for his suggestions.
> I guess complete Windows XP re-install should do the trick but I'm
> reluctant to do that unless I completely run out of other options

Late to the thread, but have you tried
User Profile Hive Cleanup Service?

Brief Description:
A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

From: Mike S on
On 7/24/2010 2:10 AM, RJK wrote:
> Ooooh! I've got this problem on a PC in my bedroom into which I fitted a
> Hauppage t.v. tuner card. After setting it to record a t.v. program I need
> to "hibernate" it, and when I do, I can head the hard-disks park after the
> blue hibernation progress bar completes, and fan speeds decrease but, then
> it fails to power off. But with a PS2 keyboard attached, (instead of my
> wireless one), I press a key on the keyboard and "CLUNK" it powers off !!!
<snip>

This might be worth a try:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Troubleshooting-Windows-Shutdown.html

"....pariphrial devices are especially notorious for causing the
problems. This is especially true of high end keyboards and mice with
lots of extra features, and of various USB devices. I have even heard of
cases in which USB devices would cause the reboot problem if they were
plugged directly into the system�s USB port, but the problem would go
away if the devices were plugged into a USB hub instead."

Mike

From: SB on
Hi Airman,
Yes I did download and run UPHClean-Setup.msi a few weeks ago, but that,
like everything else I have tried has failed to cure the shutdown problem.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Steve

From: Andy on
thanks for the tip mine was Enabled by the computer maker i disabled it.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS