From: choro on
choro wrote:
> sgopus wrote:
>> The license for an upgrade requires a qualifying media , not an
>> installed product, if you have an old install cd of windows 98, or
>> w2000, your old Xp svcpk 1, it might qualify, not sure.
>>
>> "Tom" wrote:
>>
>>> I want to know if "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition UPGRADE with
>>> SP2" CD is just upgrade to an existing XP home install or XP full
>>> install with SP2? The CD box has even the product key.
>>>
>>> The reason I'm trying to figure out is I just purchased a new
>>> motherboard and my old XP CD gives a blue screen with Stop error
>>> when I try to install it.
>>> I called the motherboard support and was told that its compatible
>>> only with XP w/SP2 at least. My old XP CD doesn't have SP2.
>
> Good advice, sgopus. Let him try to install his upgrade CD which will
> probably ask him to insert an older windows installation CD in the
> drive. He can then -- when asked for -- temporarily insert his old
> Windows CD (such as Win 98, Win 2000 or indeed his old WinXP CD) and
> this will in all probability enable the installation.
>
> IF and this is a big IF he has a Windows 98 installation CD or some
> such qualifying older version of Windows, he is in luck. Failing that
> he can try his luck with his old WinXP installation disk temporarily
> inserted into the drive.
>
> Of course he has got to start off the WinXP/SP2 Upgrade installation
> first and temporarily insert his old Windows Installation CD when
> asked for.
> Failing that he would have to install an older version of Windows
> first and THEN install his WinXP Upgrade on top of that.
>
> MS have already got enough money out of the poor chap. I don't see
> why he has to buy yet another WinXP Installation disk.
>
> Fair is fair!!! If my Motherboard fails after 12 months, I see no
> reason why I'd have to buy another operating system CD. Changing the
> motherboard is NOT tantamount to installing the OS on a second
> computer whether the computer came with a full retail version of
> WinXP or the so-called OEM version.
> My blood boils when a chap has already paid for his OS and is
> expected to dish out yet more money to buy another OS installation CD
> with a new licence. The old licence should be valid for a new
> motherboard too.
> Bear, this is for YOU....
> BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

PS= I wonder, are MVPs on commission? ;-)

A new motherboard shouldn't disqualify one from re-using his legally bought
and owned Windows installation disk. Yes, I DO draw the line where piracy is
involved but this is NOT piracy and the chap has already paid for the
service TWICE! It is madness to expect him to dish out yet more money.

Did you hear that Bear?!
--
choro
*****

From: choro on
choro wrote:
> choro wrote:
>> sgopus wrote:
>>> The license for an upgrade requires a qualifying media , not an
>>> installed product, if you have an old install cd of windows 98, or
>>> w2000, your old Xp svcpk 1, it might qualify, not sure.

>> Good advice, sgopus. Let him try to install his upgrade CD which will
>> probably ask him to insert an older windows installation CD in the
>> drive. He can then -- when asked for -- temporarily insert his old
>> Windows CD (such as Win 98, Win 2000 or indeed his old WinXP CD) and
>> this will in all probability enable the installation.
>>
>> IF and this is a big IF he has a Windows 98 installation CD or some
>> such qualifying older version of Windows, he is in luck. Failing that
>> he can try his luck with his old WinXP installation disk temporarily
>> inserted into the drive.
>>
>> Of course he has got to start off the WinXP/SP2 Upgrade installation
>> first and temporarily insert his old Windows Installation CD when
>> asked for.
>> Failing that he would have to install an older version of Windows
>> first and THEN install his WinXP Upgrade on top of that.
>>
>> MS have already got enough money out of the poor chap. I don't see
>> why he has to buy yet another WinXP Installation disk.
>>
>> Fair is fair!!! If my Motherboard fails after 12 months, I see no
>> reason why I'd have to buy another operating system CD. Changing the
>> motherboard is NOT tantamount to installing the OS on a second
>> computer whether the computer came with a full retail version of
>> WinXP or the so-called OEM version.
>> My blood boils when a chap has already paid for his OS and is
>> expected to dish out yet more money to buy another OS installation CD
>> with a new licence. The old licence should be valid for a new
>> motherboard too.
>> Bear, this is for YOU....
>> BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
>
> PS= I wonder, are MVPs on commission? ;-)
>
> A new motherboard shouldn't disqualify one from re-using his legally
> bought and owned Windows installation disk. Yes, I DO draw the line
> where piracy is involved but this is NOT piracy and the chap has
> already paid for the service TWICE! It is madness to expect him to
> dish out yet more money.
> Did you hear that Bear?!

OR does GREED know no bounds?!

--
choro
*****

From: Andy on
thats bunk you can reinstall windows xp home upgrade on a new mother bord as
long as you have the mother bord drivers installed and the old cd or a copy
of windows 98 cd kicking around i have done this on all my systems .
as the lic states you can have a copy on one computer at a time unless its
the volume lic .
so by reformatting the drive its removeing it from the old pc and installing
it on the new one.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

From: Mark Adams on

"choro" wrote:

> choro wrote:
> > sgopus wrote:
> >> The license for an upgrade requires a qualifying media , not an
> >> installed product, if you have an old install cd of windows 98, or
> >> w2000, your old Xp svcpk 1, it might qualify, not sure.

> > Good advice, sgopus. Let him try to install his upgrade CD which will
> > probably ask him to insert an older windows installation CD in the
> > drive. He can then -- when asked for -- temporarily insert his old
> > Windows CD (such as Win 98, Win 2000 or indeed his old WinXP CD) and
> > this will in all probability enable the installation.
> >
> > IF and this is a big IF he has a Windows 98 installation CD or some
> > such qualifying older version of Windows, he is in luck. Failing that
> > he can try his luck with his old WinXP installation disk temporarily
> > inserted into the drive.
> >
> > Of course he has got to start off the WinXP/SP2 Upgrade installation
> > first and temporarily insert his old Windows Installation CD when
> > asked for.
> > Failing that he would have to install an older version of Windows
> > first and THEN install his WinXP Upgrade on top of that.
> >
> > MS have already got enough money out of the poor chap. I don't see
> > why he has to buy yet another WinXP Installation disk.
> >
> > Fair is fair!!! If my Motherboard fails after 12 months, I see no
> > reason why I'd have to buy another operating system CD. Changing the
> > motherboard is NOT tantamount to installing the OS on a second
> > computer whether the computer came with a full retail version of
> > WinXP or the so-called OEM version.
> > My blood boils when a chap has already paid for his OS and is
> > expected to dish out yet more money to buy another OS installation CD
> > with a new licence. The old licence should be valid for a new
> > motherboard too.
> > Bear, this is for YOU....
> > BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
>
> PS= I wonder, are MVPs on commission? ;-)
>
> A new motherboard shouldn't disqualify one from re-using his legally bought
> and owned Windows installation disk. Yes, I DO draw the line where piracy is
> involved but this is NOT piracy and the chap has already paid for the
> service TWICE! It is madness to expect him to dish out yet more money.

Replacing a motherboard does not disqualify one from reusing his Windows
install disk if it's a retail disk. Do your research, Microsoft even provides
instructions. See the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

If the OP bought bad hardware, or uses a branded install disk (Dell, HP,
Sony etc.) instead of a retail disk, or doesn't install the proper SATA
drivers for the mainboard during the install; well that's not Microsoft's
fault. It's the OP's

Did you hear that choro?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Those in the Peanut Gallery should feel free to reply to the OP's post.