From: Praising Jesus on
I have two questions related to the same problem. I don't know if I should
post two seperate questions or just put them both in the same request. I
chose the latter.

I did not think I'd have a need to put XP back on a computer, but, things
happen. In any event, I have been a MAPS subscriber for a number of years. As
a consequence, I have a number of CDs with various versions of Windows XP on
them. (plain, home, pro, with and without service packs included, media
center edtion, etc.). The product keys are not on the disks, but on labels on
the back of the sleeves that hold the disks. Thanks to a precocious son, the
disks have all been removed from their sleeves. I now have no way to know
what product number goes with which disk. Is there a way to look at the disk,
or a way to examine the files on the disk and tell which product key number
matches up with which version so I can put the sleeves and disks back
together? It appears each version has a different product key type because
randomly entering one or more keys that are valid won't activate any type.
(e.g., if I enter a valid product key for XP plus SP2 on a disk that just has
XP on it, it rejects it).

The second question is related; in my search, I found the product key disk
for the Media Center Edition, however, after installation gets half way
through it prompts me to put in a second CD. I can't find a second CD
anywhere in my collection (I even have the MAPS packaging that comes with
each kit and can't find a reference to a second disk), consequently, is there
a way to complete the installation without the second disk, or is there a way
to download an image of the second disk so I can complete the loading of this
edition.

It's frustrating because I only need to install a copy for a week or so to
do some development testing, but I need an XP base to do the testing.

Any help would be appreciated.

---Mike

From: davy on

Try this-:

1) Insert Windows XP cd into a working computer, if the CD should start
quit auto run or 'set up' - we want to explore the disc.

2) Click start, then search for *unattend.txt*, selecting the drive
that the disc is in, you may have to search 'hidden files'.

Double click this folder when found, the product key should be in there
somewhere.

davy

From: Schloicka on
E-mail me at gschloic(a)twcny.rr.com I can help you if you have Windows XP
service pack 2 disk. Put Windows XP in subject line.

From: Schloicka on
Mean XP PRO Service pack 2