From: undisclosed on

Actually this is a known bug with XP and nothing to do with your video
card. The only consistent way of fixing this on the fly (without a
reboot) is to refresh explorer (the service that displays the TaskBar).
Open up Task Manager (right click menu from the task bar) - go to the
Processes tab and highlight Explorer in the window (there may be several
if you have file manager windows open - if so close them first) - click
the End Process button [the task bar disappears] - DO NOT CLOSE TASK
MANAGER!!!! - Click File - New Task (Run) meny option from Task Manager
and in the box type "Explorer.exe" (no quotes) and then click Open - All
is back and working just like a reboot.

--
wolf5370
From: undisclosed on

Bob I;1594830 Wrote:
> A simple "Sort by name" of Programs in the Start menu will accomplish
> the same thing.
>
> undisclosed wrote:
>
> > Actually this is a known bug with XP and nothing to do with your
> video
> > card. The only consistent way of fixing this on the fly (without a
> > reboot) is to refresh explorer (the service that displays the
> TaskBar).
> > Open up Task Manager (right click menu from the task bar) - go to the
> > Processes tab and highlight Explorer in the window (there may be
> several
> > if you have file manager windows open - if so close them first) -
> click
> > the End Process button [the task bar disappears] - DO NOT CLOSE TASK
> > MANAGER!!!! - Click File - New Task (Run) meny option from Task
> Manager
> > and in the box type "Explorer.exe" (no quotes) and then click Open -
> All
> > is back and working just like a reboot.

Yes, I have been told this before - but never works for me (an any of
my machines) - so, sure try sorting first and if that doesn't work, then

--
wolf5370
From: smlunatick on
On Sep 14, 6:58 pm, undisclosed wrote:
> Bob I;1594830 Wrote:
>

> > A simple "Sort by name" of Programs in the Start menu will accomplish
> > the same thing.
>
> > undisclosed wrote:
>
> > > Actually this is a known bug with XP and nothing to do with your
> > video
> > > card. The only consistent way of fixing this on the fly (without a
> > > reboot) is to refresh explorer (the service that displays the
> > TaskBar).
> > > Open up Task Manager (right click menu from the task bar) - go to the
> > > Processes tab and highlight Explorer in the window (there may be
> > several
> > > if you have file manager windows open - if so close them first) -
> > click
> > > the End Process button [the task bar disappears] - DO NOT CLOSE TASK
> > > MANAGER!!!! - Click File - New Task (Run) meny option from Task
> > Manager
> > > and in the box type "Explorer.exe" (no quotes) and then click Open -
> > All
> > > is back and working just like a reboot.
>
> Yes, I have been told this before - but never works for me (an any of
> my machines) - so, sure try sorting first and if that doesn't work, then
> go for what I said :)
>
> --
> wolf5370

This is an on-going BUG and never been fixed by Microsoft. However,
someone else has been kind and developed a XP service to fix this.
Check out Tooltipfixer:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=10
From: ju.c on
Have you installed SP3 yet?

After I installed SP3 the problem disappeared.

ju.c

From: undisclosed on

I had to back out SP3 after it wrecked my laptop (had to go to a backup
after completely reformatting the drive as remove didn't fix it) - So I
am not too trusting of SP3 and its a small enough issue that I can live
wth it.

--
wolf5370
 |  Next  |  Last