From: doxideb on
***ATTENTION: LEM***
Finally back after fire delays, etc.

I have tried several times to do the 'run' and 'cmd' as outlined by you and
is also displayed here:
http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_xp/20060922_windows_volume_control_program_has_not_been_installed.html

I've reached the point where, as he says, the instructions are misleading
because I cannot add the program... nor do I know which program to add.

When I open the 'cmd' box, the info is already there to direct the path to
documents & settings. If I type in 'e:' as instructed, I'm told that is an
invalid command, as with every other entry I've tried. I took a screenshot
but how do I display it for you to see?

I keep coming back to the point where I feel I need the XP installation CD,
however I didn't receive one since XP was preloaded in my laptop. I thought I
had a brilliant idea by running my Office 2007 Home & Student in 'repair'
mode... it took about an hour but gave no indication as to what it repaired ~
all I know is that I still do not have the icon in my tray!

I can get volume by accessing the 'sounds & devices' and un-muting it, but
that's not the point of all of this. The point is that it worked as desired
up to a certain point, then stopped and disappeared.

Thank you again for your time & patience.
Debbie