Prev: HELP
Next: Volume Control
From: Stealth on
I installed XP Pro on daughters new HD because of crash on old drive.
Computer has 1 HD (new) & zip drive on IDE 0 & 1 cd reader & 1 cd burner on
IDE 1. Installation went fine except XP called what should have been C
drive - F drive. There is no drive c: in My computer. Jumpers on drives seem
to be correct as Barts Ultimate Boot CD see's the drive as C: . Is there
anyway to get XP to change the drive back to C: without doing a complete
reinstall? Is there any problem with leaving it F: other than her external
HD wants to be c: when plugged in?

Old Stealth

From: Richard in AZ on

"Stealth" <guesswho99(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
|I installed XP Pro on daughters new HD because of crash on old drive.
| Computer has 1 HD (new) & zip drive on IDE 0 & 1 cd reader & 1 cd burner on
| IDE 1. Installation went fine except XP called what should have been C
| drive - F drive. There is no drive c: in My computer. Jumpers on drives seem
| to be correct as Barts Ultimate Boot CD see's the drive as C: . Is there
| anyway to get XP to change the drive back to C: without doing a complete
| reinstall? Is there any problem with leaving it F: other than her external
| HD wants to be c: when plugged in?
|
| Old Stealth

Unfortunately you created this problem because your ZIP drive was connected to the primary IDE
controller during the installation. If you do reinstall, pull the cables from the ZIP drive first.

You may be able to re-assign letter C to this drive through the disk manager, but I suspect that the
registry is now full of references to the F drive. Someone with more experience will soon advise.

From: Anteaus on
Correct, and unfortunately the only way to properly recover from this
situation is to do the install again.

I guess a utility could be written to search and correct he registry, but
then that wouldn't correct those apps which use .ini or xml config files. So,
reinstall.

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

> You may be able to re-assign letter C to this drive through the disk manager, but I suspect that the
> registry is now full of references to the F drive. Someone with more experience will soon advise.

Pages: 1
Prev: HELP
Next: Volume Control