From: Sheila on

PC had indicated viruses last week and tech came and cleaned it up. However,
apparently there is no antivirus program installed. This week noticed
appearance of Antivir08 which I thought was AV put on by tech but found out
it is malware. Shortly thereafter PC cannot be booted other than safe mode
because after Windows login PC immeidately reboots.

I was able to get into Safe Mode and install Malawarebytes Anti-Malware (as
suggested in another forum) which indicated it removed Antivir08 but the
reboot problem persists. Any ideas how to solve this?

Since safe mode is only option to start successfully, I cannot get to
Windows updates or other installs as I get "cannot install in safe mode"
errors.

System is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 on Dell Optiplex GM-280
(Pentium 4).

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Sheila" <sheila(a)nospam>

| PC had indicated viruses last week and tech came and cleaned it up. However,
| apparently there is no antivirus program installed. This week noticed
| appearance of Antivir08 which I thought was AV put on by tech but found out
| it is malware. Shortly thereafter PC cannot be booted other than safe mode
| because after Windows login PC immeidately reboots.

| I was able to get into Safe Mode and install Malawarebytes Anti-Malware (as
| suggested in another forum) which indicated it removed Antivir08 but the
| reboot problem persists. Any ideas how to solve this?

| Since safe mode is only option to start successfully, I cannot get to
| Windows updates or other installs as I get "cannot install in safe mode"
| errors.

| System is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 on Dell Optiplex GM-280
| (Pentium 4).

What happens if you create a new account, in Safe Mode, and logon to the system with said
new account ?

--
Dave

From: Sheila on
Created new account in safe mode, rebooted and tried to login. Same problem,
system immeidately reboots.

From: jen on
"Sheila" <sheila(a)nospam> wrote in message
> PC had indicated viruses last week and tech came and cleaned it up.
> However, apparently there is no antivirus program installed. This week
> noticed appearance of Antivir08 which I thought was AV put on by tech
> but found out it is malware. Shortly thereafter PC cannot be booted
> other than safe mode because after Windows login PC immeidately
> reboots.
> I was able to get into Safe Mode and install Malawarebytes
> Anti-Malware (as suggested in another forum) which indicated it
> removed Antivir08 but the reboot problem persists. Any ideas how to
> solve this?
> Since safe mode is only option to start successfully, I cannot get to
> Windows updates or other installs as I get "cannot install in safe
> mode" errors.
> System is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 on Dell Optiplex
> GM-280 (Pentium 4).

Wait for help (as you were told when you posted this same issue on CC)
here:
"You're Ready for cleaning.
At CastleCops we screen all HijackThis logs for errors, out-of-date
versions, unupdated operating systems, omissions and P2P applications;
getting you [READY] for cleaning by our 1st Responders and Security
Experts.
Now you wait for one of them to come help you."
http://www.castlecops.com/p1110292-Windows_XP_immediately_reboots_after_login.html

-jen

From: Maurice N ~ MVP on
Sheila,
As Jen said, see the reply at CastleCops forum
http://www.castlecops.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=226180&sid=8e3797dea6f6cfdbb5ed639991226576

--
Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP