From: Victek on
For no apparent reason the computer is shutting down. It's not crashing,
it's going through a normal shutdown, but I can't figure out how the command
is being issued. I've checked through msconfig, startup items and task
scheduler and don't see anything. The computer did have some malware, but I
believe it has been removed (MBAM) and it is running the latest AVG Free 9.
I also blew out the CPU cooler so I'm confident the system is not
overheating (though it may have been previously as the heat-sink was
clogged). TIA for any suggestions.

From: Rich Barry on
Try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>Advanced>Startup and
Recovery. Uncheck box " Automatically Restart ". This
may or may not give you a blue screen with message next time it
shutsdown. Post message here.

From: Victek on
>> For no apparent reason the computer is shutting down. It's not crashing,
>> it's going through a normal shutdown, but I can't figure out how the
>> command is being issued. I've checked through msconfig, startup items
>> and task scheduler and don't see anything. The computer did have some
>> malware, but I believe it has been removed (MBAM) and it is running the
>> latest AVG Free 9. I also blew out the CPU cooler so I'm confident the
>> system is not overheating (though it may have been previously as the
>> heat-sink was clogged). TIA for any suggestions.
>
> Try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>Advanced>Startup and
> Recovery. Uncheck box " Automatically Restart ". This
> may or may not give you a blue screen with message next time it shutsdown.
> Post message here.
..
Good advice if a PC is giving a blue screen, but this one isn't. It's going
through a normal shutdown - it logs off, saves settings and turns off in the
same way it does when the user issues the shut down command. It does not
restart. It's not clear how the command is being initiated. There are some
programs that offer an option to turn off the computer after they complete a
task. I feel it's something like that, but I can't figure out where it's
coming from. I've removed the items in the task scheduler which were only
the default disk cleanup and defrag tasks.

From: sgopus on
power saver settings?