From: GlowingBlueMist on
Crow T Robot wrote:
> Can I use the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade to Windows XP? I have XP on one
> drive and wanted to install Windows 7 on a new drive will the upgrade
> version allow this as a new install? Or do I need the full version?

Yes you can do a clean install using the upgrade version. Part of the
install is telling the installer in what drive/partition you want to install
Windows 7. It is even possible to install Windows 7 from an upgrade version
with no prior installation of any kind, as in you just replaced the only
hard drive with a new blank one and want to install Windows 7.

Here is a link to a site that will take you through the steps necessary to
do a clean install using an upgrade version, with and without a prior
version of windows being anywhere on a hard drive.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

While the article is kind of long I suggest reading all of it prior to
attempting the install so that you will know what to expect as well as what
to say no to during the install while using the upgrade version of Windows
7.

From: jrg on
On 12/11/2009 05:08 AM GlowingBlueMist scribbled:

<snip>

> Here is a link to a site that will take you through the steps necessary to
> do a clean install using an upgrade version, with and without a prior
> version of windows being anywhere on a hard drive.
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
>
> While the article is kind of long I suggest reading all of it prior to
> attempting the install so that you will know what to expect as well as what
> to say no to during the install while using the upgrade version of Windows
> 7.

clean_install_upgrade sounds like an oxymoron...