From: mimi on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And which updates did you install?
>
> mimi wrote:
> > I had installed MS Word 97 on my XP - SP3 computer to get MS Photo Editor
> > in
> > JAN 2010. I was able to use MS Photo Editor to edit JPEG files for two
> > months, and then after the 03/02/2010 Automatic Update, Photo Editor would
> > not open.
> > I tried recopying the one .exe file - and when I click on that the screen
> > goes black mementarily and subsequently various backgrounds, and sometimes
> > colors, are messed up, requiring a restart to rectify.
> > If I can't get Photo Editor back up, what other free program could I use
> > for
> > the same tasks?
>
> .
> I am on Automatic Update. The updates for Windows on that date were
Update for Windows XP (KB970430)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - FEB 2010 (KB890830)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759)
Update for Windows XP (KB973687)
Update for Windows XP (KB971737)
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
Update for Windows XP (KB979306)
There were also 13 security updates which I don't think would be responsible
- but if you want to know I can supply them

From: mimi on
A. Photo Editor is not in the Add/Remove List - it is a .exe file in
Program Files / Common Files / Microsoft Shared / PhotoEd
with several .dll files and one .srg file.
I renamed the PhotoEd folder and copied the folder in its entirety from a HD
copy of the Word CD - MS Word / OS / MSApps - as the contents of the two
folders were apparently identical. Same problem. I may even have tried
copying the .exe file from the original CD.
Actually, at some point the problem got worse. Originally, clicking on the
icon accomplished nothing. At some point, clicking on the icon gave me the
black screen and messed up bgs and then subsequently messed up colors also.

B. I don't know anything about a Repair function.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
mimi wrote:
>> And which updates did you install?
>>
>> mimi wrote:
>>> I had installed MS Word 97 on my XP - SP3 computer to get MS Photo
>>> Editor
>>> in
>>> JAN 2010. I was able to use MS Photo Editor to edit JPEG files for two
>>> months, and then after the 03/02/2010 Automatic Update, Photo Editor
>>> would
>>> not open.
>>> I tried recopying the one .exe file - and when I click on that the
>>> screen
>>> goes black mementarily and subsequently various backgrounds, and
>>> sometimes
>>> colors, are messed up, requiring a restart to rectify.
>>> If I can't get Photo Editor back up, what other free program could I use
>>> for
>>> the same tasks?
>>
> I am on Automatic Update. The updates for Windows on that date were
> Update for Windows XP (KB970430)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - FEB 2010 (KB890830)
> Update for Windows XP (KB955759)
> Update for Windows XP (KB973687)
> Update for Windows XP (KB971737)
> Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
> Update for Windows XP (KB979306)
> There were also 13 security updates which I don't think would be
> responsible
> - but if you want to know I can supply them

[OK, we'll bottom-post.]

Most of those updates were released 3-4 months ago, as were most of the
security updates, I assume. How come you only got around to installing them
on 02 March?

Had Automatic Updates been disabled until 02 March 2010 or...?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

From: mimi on
By the way, I removed Word 97 and reinstalled it and the problem remains.
To clarify about the messed up background and color - that happens very
severely on web pages. Some plain bgs come up checkerboard; colored
photographs are almost like negatives and pages with lots of color are a
horror.
- My desktop is almost OK, but some icons are distorted.
- For jpg files, the color is almost true, but there is checkerboarding
over large relatively flat color areas. This phenomena is somehow tied to the
pixels as the grid size remains constant regardless of zoom level. These
files are being viewed in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I expect that a
restart will clear up the problem.
- I just opened Word Perfect and when I did the colors in a jpg image went
haywire. The lines bordering my columns in WP are broken. There is no point
in listing all the weird things that are happening. This all stemmed from
clicking on the PhotoEditor icon. - But I insist it is not Photo Editor's
problem, I had no problems of this kind when I first installed Photo Editor
with Word 97 in mid January.

Mimi

From: mimi on
I have scanned my computer with both AVG and Malwarebytes - it came up
perfectly clean.

I have no confidence the problem will be resolved - so I just downloaded
Irfan View
A good sampling of my jpg maps show perfectly and there is no interference
with color on the web sites.

So consider the case closed.

Mimi