From: Peter on
I'm running Windows XP serevice pack 2. When I place a cd into my drive
nothing happens. So I went to the Device Manager and it said that "Windows
cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted
or missing. (Code 39)". I have a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive. How can I
fix this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
From: Bob Knowlden on
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553#kb4

"CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP"

For an automated fix (rather than manually editing the Registry),

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

From: Tom on

"Peter" <Peter(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows XP serevice pack 2. When I place a cd into my drive
> nothing happens. So I went to the Device Manager and it said that "Windows
> cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
> corrupted
> or missing. (Code 39)". I have a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive. How can I
> fix this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

See if this article applies to you, since you mention Code 39: