From: Corbin on
it says "savedump.exe - unable to locate componet
that's the header
in the box it says...."This application has failed to start because
DBGHELP.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this
problem"

i found out that this comes with - Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

after this msg the computer rebooted.
it was doing this before but i never got a chance to see if or what error
msg popped up before the reboot.

Windows XP pro
SP2
Office 2003
512 sdram
850mhz duron

did a fresh install with new harddrive, at this point i installed SP2.
never had this grief before, after SP2 it started.
fresh installed again after weeks of chasing virus / trogans, and looking
through everything.
after the newest install, i actually saw this error msg, now that i've
research it some and found it comes with SP2 what is the fix?
i installed the last 2 times with a slipstreamed disk, so no restore points.
is there a fix , or am i reinstalling with only SP1?

please help ready to just trying to repair it with a sledgehammer.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Corbin.

DBGHELP.DLL is a valid Windows file from Microsoft. SP2 contains a new
version, but the file was a part of the original WinXP in 2001. You should
find it in \Windows\system32. The original file was 486,400 bytes, dated
8/23/01; the new one is 640,000 bytes, dated 8/4/04.

My first impulse is to suggest SFC /scannow. The System File Checker
compares each WinXP operating system file to the "known good" copy held in
your on-disk cache and replaces any missing or damaged ones. But you say
you've already reinstalled WinXP and then SP2. This should have done all
that SFC would do - and more.

About all I can think of is that your copy of SP2 is damaged. Where did you
get SP2? Did you download it? Do you have the SP2 CD-ROM from Microsoft?

> it was doing this before but i never got a chance to see if or what error
> msg popped up before the reboot.

The default setting for what WinXP is to do on System failure is to
Automatically restart. As we know, a simple reboot often fixes temporary
glitches. But when it doesn't work, we are left without a clue as to what
the problem might be (unless we can view and interpret the event logs and
dumps). But you can go to System Properties | Advanced | Startup and
Recovery / Settings and remove the check from the Automatically restart box.

Next time, the computer will halt with a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).
You'll still have to reboot (press the Reset button), but you'll have all
the time you need to read the BSOD. If you can't figure it out, post the
message here and some guru (not me!) can probably help you interpret it. Be
sure to post the Stop code verbatim, with all driver names, hex codes, etc.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Corbin on
sorry if you read my post wrong, it ran fine when it had SP1 only, but i put
a new harddrive in and fresh installed with a slipstreamed CD that had SP2.
the second install was with same CD.
this started after SP2 was installed using the slipstreamed CD on the new
hardrdive. before SP2 it ran fine.
as much as i hate to do it, that i may need to fresh install again using the
Windows XP with SP1.
and yes the SP2 cd came on a CD from Microsoft.
as we have a few machines running the same version of Windows XP Pro, we
have used the slipstreamed CD before without any issues. yes we have
seperate numbers for each computer.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Corbin.

That file's properties say "Description: Windows Image Helper", which
doesn't tell ME much. Maybe someone here will know something about it.

> and yes the SP2 cd came on a CD from Microsoft.
> as we have a few machines running the same version of Windows XP Pro, we
> have used the slipstreamed CD before without any issues. yes we have
> seperate numbers for each computer.

Well, that eliminates the possibility that it might have been a defective
download or a bad burn of a backup CD.

> in the box it says...."This application has failed to start because
> DBGHELP.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this
> problem"

Which application gives you this error? Is it a commercial product or a
custom program? Perhaps its developer has not yet updated it to run with
SP2. Have you looked at the developer's website for a FAQ or other support?
Have you tried reinstalling the app, as the error message suggests? It's
not clear to me whether the error message is coming from WinXP or from the
app.

I'm out of ideas. I hope some guru here recognizes the symptoms and has
some advice.

RC

From: Tim on
dbghelp.dll contains a bunch of API's (functions) associated with debugging
programs, loading and using debug symbols (when a dump is taken) and other
activities around "images" which in this case refers to program files
(.exe's, .dll's etc. and PM dumps)

I think you are on the right track: a 3rd party program could have been
installed either after SP2 or perhaps as part of a device driver program
suite and either way the program is either failing to start (because
dbghelp.dll is not the correct version) cannot be found or the program is
crashing and windows is attempting to load and use dbghelp.dll's functions
and use them.

Dr Watson probably uses dbghelp.dll.

In case the above is off the mark (likely), I would get a fresh CD of SP2
and re-apply SP2 and see if that fixes it. Check your disk drive is not
producing dodgy sectors, and consider running memtest86 (from
www.memtest86.org) overnight to prove it is not the result of an unstable
memory configuration.

Check the Application event log and look for information that indicates if a
specific user-world program is causing the fault and if so, attack that.

You could try removing any additional furry bits from any drivers installed.
EG often h/w products come with the compulsory CD full of junk (EG mice with
applet programs with smiley faces that follow you around). Install only the
driver - if that does not work check the HCL for devices and for driver
updates.

Check the System event log and as said before, post back details of any
system crash.

BOL - Tim