From: Eric Stevens on
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:57:14 +0000 (UTC), Toxic <staring(a)my_hd.tv>
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:56:43 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> I keep my camera set to UTC rather than local time
>

>Good idea,
>and since I've got to go in and dither its clock one of these days,
>I think I'll do likewise.

My camera (Nikon D300) is set to synchronise time with my computer
every time I connect the two. The computer (Windows XP) shows local
time, including the adjustment for DST. It also is synchronised daily
with a time signal from somewhere (USN Hawaii?) All of this is very
convenient and much more meaningful than me having to maintain my
camera at UTC.

Eric Stevens
From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-03 13:25:30 -0800, bucky3 <bucky3(a)mail.com> said:

> Thanks everyone, that was quite an educational thread.
>
> Just curious, how do other operating systems (like Unix, Mac) handle
> the file timestamp in regards to DST? Do they have the same problem,
> or do they handle it better?

Apple provides an option for automatic date & time setting via one of 3
online time servers; Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com); Apple Asia
(time.asia.apple.com); Apple Europe (time.euro.apple.com) this
automatically handles all DST issues.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: nospam on
In article <2009110313342154666-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> > Just curious, how do other operating systems (like Unix, Mac) handle
> > the file timestamp in regards to DST? Do they have the same problem,
> > or do they handle it better?
>
> Apple provides an option for automatic date & time setting via one of 3
> online time servers; Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com); Apple Asia
> (time.asia.apple.com); Apple Europe (time.euro.apple.com) this
> automatically handles all DST issues.

other time servers can be added and the time stamp is utc with a time
zone offset.
From: J�rgen Exner on
>On 2009-11-03 13:25:30 -0800, bucky3 <bucky3(a)mail.com> said:
>
>> Thanks everyone, that was quite an educational thread.
>>
>> Just curious, how do other operating systems (like Unix, Mac) handle
>> the file timestamp in regards to DST? Do they have the same problem,
>> or do they handle it better?
>
>Apple provides an option for automatic date & time setting via one of 3
>online time servers; Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com); Apple Asia
>(time.asia.apple.com); Apple Europe (time.euro.apple.com) this
>automatically handles all DST issues.

So does Microsoft. And other organizations. But the time transmitted is
always UTC and any time zone settings are handled locally on your
computer according to your timezone settings. After all, how would the
server know if you are on the left side or right side of that time zone
border.

jue
From: Ofnuts on
bucky3 wrote:
> Thanks everyone, that was quite an educational thread.
>
> Just curious, how do other operating systems (like Unix, Mac) handle
> the file timestamp in regards to DST? Do they have the same problem,
> or do they handle it better?

I believe the Unix-based systems (Linux, OSX, BSD) handle it correctly.

--
Bertrand