From: InvisibleDuncan on
Can anyone remember the syntax for getting a Windows shortcut or a command
prompt to prompt the user for a parameter? It's something I haven't done for
years - possibly decades...

In fact, it's been so long that I've been told it's been removed from
Windows and that I'll have to use a batch file instead. That seems absurd -
surely it's not the case?
From: FrankV on
In dos type doskey /? and you might find something in there, although I
doubt it. There is not much you can do anymore as we used to do in ms-dos.

Frank

"InvisibleDuncan" <InvisibleDuncan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FD70D848-8E85-45A9-BB4A-F76F121A5EFA(a)microsoft.com...

From: Twayne on
In news:FD70D848-8E85-45A9-BB4A-F76F121A5EFA(a)microsoft.com,
InvisibleDuncan <InvisibleDuncan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Can anyone remember the syntax for getting a Windows
> shortcut or a command prompt to prompt the user for a
> parameter? It's something I haven't done for years -
> possibly decades...
>
> In fact, it's been so long that I've been told it's been
> removed from Windows and that I'll have to use a batch file
> instead. That seems absurd - surely it's not the case?

I think you mean %? %1, %2 and so forth to %9 and then you can shift for
more.

Batch:
xcopy %1 c:\filename
Save as Mycopy.batch.

---------------
Although you can use the % symbol to specify a variable in a batch file, you
must type in two % symbols in succession. For example, you must type
for /L %%n IN (1,1,10) DO @ECHO %%nto tell the batch file to interpret the
command as
for /L %n IN (1 1 10) DO @ECHO %nIf you simply want to output the % symbol
from a batch file, you must also type in two % symbols in succession. For
example, type

echo 10%%to display
10%The standard % symbols that surround an environment variable remain the
same, regardless of whether you're typing them at a command prompt or
including them in a batch file. For example, type

echo %date%to display the date.
------------------------------

http://commandwindows.com/tipsandtricks.htm

HTH,

Twayne`

--
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a

From: Twayne on
In news:%23rPGVShwKHA.4532(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
FrankV <vze32975(a)verizon.net> typed:
> In dos type doskey /? and you might find something in
> there, although I doubt it. There is not much you can do
> anymore as we used to do in ms-dos.

Whaat, there is a lot you can still do; just not the disk operations like
sys, fdisk, things that that which arean't compatible. Jst type Help at the
command prompt for a complete list. And that's only a small bit of what you
can do from the command prompt; it's a lot longer list than the Help
listing.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Twayne on
In news:OteKFejwKHA.6140(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Twayne <nobody(a)spamcop.net> typed:
> In news:FD70D848-8E85-45A9-BB4A-F76F121A5EFA(a)microsoft.com,
> InvisibleDuncan <InvisibleDuncan(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> typed:
>> Can anyone remember the syntax for getting a Windows
>> shortcut or a command prompt to prompt the user for a
>> parameter? It's something I haven't done for years -
>> possibly decades...
>>
>> In fact, it's been so long that I've been told it's been
>> removed from Windows and that I'll have to use a batch file
>> instead. That seems absurd - surely it's not the case?
>
> I think you mean %? %1, %2 and so forth to %9 and then you
> can shift for more.
>
> Batch:
> xcopy %1 c:\filename
> Save as Mycopy.batch.
>

> ---------------
> Although you can use the % symbol to specify a variable in
> a batch file, you must type in two % symbols in succession.
> For example, you must type for /L %%n IN (1,1,10) DO @ECHO %%nto tell the
> batch file
> to interpret the command as
> for /L %n IN (1 1 10) DO @ECHO %nIf you simply want to
> output the % symbol from a batch file, you must also type
> in two % symbols in succession. For example, type
>
> echo 10%%to display
> 10%The standard % symbols that surround an environment
> variable remain the same, regardless of whether you're
> typing them at a command prompt or including them in a
> batch file. For example, type
> echo %date%to display the date.
> ------------------------------
>
> http://commandwindows.com/tipsandtricks.htm
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne`

Also, the best DOS experts I've found around live at alt.msdos.batch.nt if
you have access to the .alt groups. If XP can do it, they'll know how.

HTH,

Twayne`
-
--
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Control of ATI events