From: William B. Lurie on
I have found that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, then overnight
it goes to hibernate and gives no error messages in 'Events'. But if I
set hibernate at 2 hours, it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is
in the Event Log:

Two events occur periodically. One is Service Control Manager being
called, every hour. and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image
Acquisition Service" (WIA) entered the running state".

The other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.

I'd like to find out first how to set the WIA to some longer period,
and more about the Network Control Test.
From: Jose on
On Mar 12, 9:25 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I have found that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, then overnight
> it goes to hibernate and gives no error messages in 'Events'. But if I
> set hibernate at 2 hours, it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is
> in the Event Log:
>
> Two events occur periodically. One is Service Control Manager being
> called, every hour. and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image
> Acquisition Service" (WIA) entered the running state".
>
> The other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.
>
> I'd like to find out first how to set the WIA to some longer period,
> and more about the Network Control Test.

What is the status of your WIA service? Disable it and reboot if you
are not using a scanner or camera. Is that message preceded by a WIA
being sent a start message and only happens on reboot or do you see it
every hour? Just disable WIA if you are not using it. It is just
another running service you may not need.

You may also want to remind folks that you are still running SP2 which
is known to have problems with hibernation that were resolved with
SP3.

If you use Hibernate (or Stand By) and XP starts the idle timer
beginning the countdown... anything that happens that uses 10% of CPU
time (while it is waiting) will reset the timer to zero and the
countdown starts over. If you set Hibernate for 2 hours and something
happens every hour to reset the timer, you will never Hibernate
automatically.

You need to see what things you might have running that could reset
the timer - for example: email, Skype, AVG, IM, RSS feeds, Internet
Browsers, periodic automatic updates of third party programs,
scheduled malware updates or scans, backups, scheduled tasks
(defrags), etc. that might be resetting the idle timer for you - even
when you think you are not really doing anything.
From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Mar 12, 9:25 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> I have found that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, then overnight
>> it goes to hibernate and gives no error messages in 'Events'. But if I
>> set hibernate at 2 hours, it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is
>> in the Event Log:
>>
>> Two events occur periodically. One is Service Control Manager being
>> called, every hour. and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image
>> Acquisition Service" (WIA) entered the running state".
>>
>> The other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.
>>
>> I'd like to find out first how to set the WIA to some longer period,
>> and more about the Network Control Test.
>
> What is the status of your WIA service? Disable it and reboot if you
> are not using a scanner or camera. Is that message preceded by a WIA
> being sent a start message and only happens on reboot or do you see it
> every hour? Just disable WIA if you are not using it. It is just
> another running service you may not need.
>
> You may also want to remind folks that you are still running SP2 which
> is known to have problems with hibernation that were resolved with
> SP3.
>
> If you use Hibernate (or Stand By) and XP starts the idle timer
> beginning the countdown... anything that happens that uses 10% of CPU
> time (while it is waiting) will reset the timer to zero and the
> countdown starts over. If you set Hibernate for 2 hours and something
> happens every hour to reset the timer, you will never Hibernate
> automatically.
>
> You need to see what things you might have running that could reset
> the timer - for example: email, Skype, AVG, IM, RSS feeds, Internet
> Browsers, periodic automatic updates of third party programs,
> scheduled malware updates or scans, backups, scheduled tasks
> (defrags), etc. that might be resetting the idle timer for you - even
> when you think you are not really doing anything.

Good advice as always, Jose. I tried to find out how to disable WIA
to try to pin it down, but I couldn't find it. If it's in the startup
list from 'msconfig' I couldn't find it there, but I'll admit that
there are a half-dozen or so items that I couldn't identify. What
does it look like?

I've been expecting the Events list to point to events that happen
quietly in the background, and that's what led me to WIA as the culprit.

Good point about SP3; I recall that it interfered with something
and so I went back to SP2. I'd be willing to spend the time to upgrade
back to SP3 and see if it runs clean.
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 9:25 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>>> I have found that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, then overnight
>>> it goes to hibernate and gives no error messages in 'Events'. But if I
>>> set hibernate at 2 hours, it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is
>>> in the Event Log:
>>>
>>> Two events occur periodically. One is Service Control Manager being
>>> called, every hour. and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image
>>> Acquisition Service" (WIA) entered the running state".
>>>
>>> The other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.
>>>
>>> I'd like to find out first how to set the WIA to some longer period,
>>> and more about the Network Control Test.
>>
>> What is the status of your WIA service? Disable it and reboot if you
>> are not using a scanner or camera. Is that message preceded by a WIA
>> being sent a start message and only happens on reboot or do you see it
>> every hour? Just disable WIA if you are not using it. It is just
>> another running service you may not need.
>>
>> You may also want to remind folks that you are still running SP2 which
>> is known to have problems with hibernation that were resolved with
>> SP3.
>>
>> If you use Hibernate (or Stand By) and XP starts the idle timer
>> beginning the countdown... anything that happens that uses 10% of CPU
>> time (while it is waiting) will reset the timer to zero and the
>> countdown starts over. If you set Hibernate for 2 hours and something
>> happens every hour to reset the timer, you will never Hibernate
>> automatically.
>>
>> You need to see what things you might have running that could reset
>> the timer - for example: email, Skype, AVG, IM, RSS feeds, Internet
>> Browsers, periodic automatic updates of third party programs,
>> scheduled malware updates or scans, backups, scheduled tasks
>> (defrags), etc. that might be resetting the idle timer for you - even
>> when you think you are not really doing anything.
>
> Good advice as always, Jose. I tried to find out how to disable WIA
> to try to pin it down, but I couldn't find it. If it's in the startup
> list from 'msconfig' I couldn't find it there, but I'll admit that
> there are a half-dozen or so items that I couldn't identify. What
> does it look like?

Don't disable it, try it first set to "Manual" Start in the Services
Management console (In the Start Menu Run box enter services.msc).

John
From: Jose on
On Mar 12, 12:04 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 9:25 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> >> I have found that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, then overnight
> >> it goes to hibernate and gives no error messages in 'Events'. But if I
> >> set hibernate at 2 hours, it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is
> >> in the Event Log:
>
> >> Two events occur periodically. One is Service Control Manager being
> >> called, every hour. and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image
> >> Acquisition Service" (WIA) entered the running state".
>
> >> The other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.
>
> >> I'd like to find out first how to set the WIA to some longer period,
> >> and more about the Network Control Test.
>
> > What is the status of your WIA service?  Disable it and reboot if you
> > are not using a scanner or camera.  Is that message preceded by a WIA
> > being sent a start message and only happens on reboot or do you see it
> > every hour?  Just disable WIA if you are not using it.  It is just
> > another running service you may not need.
>
> > You may also want to remind folks that you are still running SP2 which
> > is known to have problems with hibernation that were resolved with
> > SP3.
>
> > If you use Hibernate (or Stand By) and XP starts the idle timer
> > beginning the countdown... anything that happens that uses 10% of CPU
> > time (while it is waiting) will reset the timer to zero and the
> > countdown starts over.  If you set Hibernate for 2 hours and something
> > happens every hour to reset the timer, you will never Hibernate
> > automatically.
>
> > You need to see what things you might have running that could reset
> > the timer - for example: email, Skype, AVG, IM, RSS feeds, Internet
> > Browsers, periodic automatic updates of third party programs,
> > scheduled malware updates or scans, backups, scheduled tasks
> > (defrags), etc. that might be resetting the idle timer for you - even
> > when you think you are not really doing anything.
>
> Good advice as always, Jose. I tried to find out how to disable WIA
> to try to pin it down, but I couldn't find it. If it's in the startup
> list from 'msconfig' I couldn't find it there, but I'll admit that
> there are a half-dozen or so items that I couldn't identify. What
> does it look like?
>
> I've been expecting the Events list to point to events that happen
> quietly in the background, and that's what led me to WIA as the culprit.
>
> Good point about SP3; I recall that it interfered with something
> and so I went back to SP2. I'd be willing to spend the time to upgrade
> back to SP3 and see if it runs clean.

Just disable the service from the XP Services applet.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

A shortcut to the Services applet is:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

click OK.

Locate the WIA Service (is that status Started = running?), right
click and change the Properties Startup type to Manual. Reboot and
check the service again to be sure it is not running and then check
your Event Log. Mine is Disabled, but I will never use a device that
needs any kind of image acquisition on this computer!

If you can regularly hibernate after one hour with no problems but
never after two hours, I suspect something is going on between hour 1
and hour 2 that resets your idle interval back to zero. Are you using
any of the software I listed before? I forgot to add MagicJack - that
will also keep you from Hibernating if you don't set it up right.

If my system doesn't Hibernate when I think it should, it is always my
fault somehow.

You can clear the Event Logs you know - that may make your
troubleshooting a little easier to start fresh. Set up your two hour
window, clear the logs, wait more than two hours (missing the window)
then look in the logs and see what things were logged when you thought
you were doing "nothing". Ah-ha!

Didn't I send you a link one day with the SP2 Hibernate hotfix? I
will have to look for it again if you never got a chance to try it.
The hotfix is included with SP3, but I think you can just get the
Hibernate hotfix for SP2.