From: William B. Lurie on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Replace your video device with an NVidia one. ;-)

I'm sure you meant that suggestion to be helpful, Shenan,
but I'd appreciate a major expansion. What video device, my CRT monitor?
And the term NVidia is new to me.
From: Jim on

"William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
> Unknown wrote:
>> Can you list the mystery items in the startup list. We'll try to identify
>> them. Do NOT delete them even to
>> see what fails.
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>
> Sure, Un:
> Recguard.exe
Searching the internet reveals that this program, on HP computers, tries to
keep processes from altering the recovery partition. On others, it may be
malware. Info found by searching the internet.
> LXSUPMON.EXE RUN
Lexmark support monitor. May be malware as well.
> dumprep o-k
Prepares dump reports. Part of Windows OS.
> RTHDCPL.EXE
RTHDCPL.exe is the Realtek High Definiton Audio Control Panel. If you don't
have a Realtek device, it may be malware.
> ISUSPM
May be part of macrovision installation, or may be a trojan.
> QTTask.exe atboottime
Part of Quick Time.
> ctfmon.exe
Described in support.microsoft.com/kb/ 282599
> and one with only the registry location showing:
> HLKM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

Jim

From: Shenan Stanley on

William B. Lurie wrote:
> I'm sure you meant that suggestion to be helpful, Shenan,
> but I'd appreciate a major expansion. What video device, my CRT
> monitor? And the term NVidia is new to me.

Your Video Card (as far as I know - ATI (now AMD) does not make monitors.)

You are obviously having a ton of issues with the ATI video device and -
more precisely - their software. You are far from the first and are not
likely to be the last to have issues with their software in reference to one
or more things. I am *not* saying that NVidia video cards have *no
issues* - definitely not a fact - but I know that in my years of experience,
my many machines (current and past, actually owned by myself or just
supported by me in some fashion - temporarily or permanent) I have had fewer
issues with NVidia devices and software than I have with ATI devices and
software.

Also - you seemingly have a *lot* running on your system at all times.
Seems bizarre to me - like beyond the default by many times. Perhaps a
little cleanup (uninstallation of software you do not use, removal of
hardware you do not use, etc) is in order?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: William B. Lurie on
Jim wrote:
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Unknown wrote:
>>> Can you list the mystery items in the startup list. We'll try to identify
>>> them. Do NOT delete them even to
>>> see what fails.
>>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Sure, Un:
>> Recguard.exe
> Searching the internet reveals that this program, on HP computers, tries to
> keep processes from altering the recovery partition. On others, it may be
> malware. Info found by searching the internet.
>> LXSUPMON.EXE RUN
> Lexmark support monitor. May be malware as well.
>> dumprep o-k
> Prepares dump reports. Part of Windows OS.
>> RTHDCPL.EXE
> RTHDCPL.exe is the Realtek High Definiton Audio Control Panel. If you don't
> have a Realtek device, it may be malware.
>> ISUSPM
> May be part of macrovision installation, or may be a trojan.
>> QTTask.exe atboottime
> Part of Quick Time.
>> ctfmon.exe
> Described in support.microsoft.com/kb/ 282599
>> and one with only the registry location showing:
>> HLKM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. I either know about those, or they seem
to be nesessary.
From: William B. Lurie on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Shenan wrote:
>> Replace your video device with an NVidia one. ;-)
>
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> I'm sure you meant that suggestion to be helpful, Shenan,
>> but I'd appreciate a major expansion. What video device, my CRT
>> monitor? And the term NVidia is new to me.
>
> Your Video Card (as far as I know - ATI (now AMD) does not make monitors.)
>
> You are obviously having a ton of issues with the ATI video device and -
> more precisely - their software. You are far from the first and are not
> likely to be the last to have issues with their software in reference to one
> or more things. I am *not* saying that NVidia video cards have *no
> issues* - definitely not a fact - but I know that in my years of experience,
> my many machines (current and past, actually owned by myself or just
> supported by me in some fashion - temporarily or permanent) I have had fewer
> issues with NVidia devices and software than I have with ATI devices and
> software.
>
> Also - you seemingly have a *lot* running on your system at all times.
> Seems bizarre to me - like beyond the default by many times. Perhaps a
> little cleanup (uninstallation of software you do not use, removal of
> hardware you do not use, etc) is in order?

I do have a lot running, but that isn't something recent. I don't even
have in Startup a number of stuff that I load when I need it, not
always with startup. Startup for me is what's essential for my daily
bread, like e-mail but not browser; Norton Anti-Virus (*not* Save and
Restore), no I.M. or Skype of MSN or Windows Messenger. No word
processor or scanner or FAX, no checkbook.

As for NVidia, I shy far away from replacing an HP-built-in video card
or equivalent with something completely new to me. It's broke but it
ain't *that* badly broke! But your sage advice is much appreciated.