From: bbbl67 on
On Dec 14, 4:20 pm, ron <rkw...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, folks.  Linux and the concept of "Live CD" are
> new to me so I'll try your suggestions as soon as I can get up to
> speed and create a "Linux Live CD".

You simply do a search for "Ubuntu download" (most common Linux
distribution), and download the ISO image for the latest one. You burn
it to a CD, and then you reboot into that CD. Nothing else more
complicated than that.

Yousuf Khan
From: ron on
Thought I'd report on the outcome of this. I am on Windows XP so it
wasn't a Windows problem. Having a very slow connection I chose to
download SliTax's LiveCD. Ran the ISO as suggested but Linux also
couldn't do anything with the drive though it did appear to be
visable.

The upshot of all of this is that I must have garbled up the drive
somehow in my original attempts at removing partitions and
formatting. I hooked the USB enclosure back up to my WindowsXP laptop
and took another look at it through Disk Manager. It appeared to have
a very large, healthy sector and a small unallocated one. The large
sector was/contained the MBR.

I deleted that sector, formatted the resulting single sector (which
completed successfully) and the drive now appears to be working
normally. Not sure what I did to cause the problem or why my fix
worked.

Thanks to all, Ron