From: dell2350 on
I posted on here before, but even though I bookmarked my page, I still can't
find my original post. My question is, If I go to the windows update website,
and I do either a express or a custom scan, I get the following error message:

Microsoft Update
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options below might help you solve the problem.

For self help options:
Frequently asked questions
Find solutions
Windows update newsgroup

For assisted support options:
Microsoft online assisted support (no cost for windows update issues)
Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number
0x8024402C) yourself.

Something is preventing me from getting windows updates. If anyone has find
my orginal post and let me know where it is, I'll be happy to get rid of this
one.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See these archived, previous discussions:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/search?q=0x8024402C&start=0&scoring=d

Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

From: dell2350 on
I have already done the solution mentioned, however nothing seems to solve
the problem. I'm running windows xp home edition. I'm using comodo firewall,
however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates so that
tells me that my firewall is not causing the problem. I never get any prompts
from my firewall when I go to the windows update webste. Would it help if I
went to a HiJackThis form and posted a log there, linking my forum post here?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Let's rule out some other settings first. Try...

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

<QP>
0x8024402C or 0x8024502d error codes

To resolve these errors, remove characters from the proxy exception list,
and then clear the proxy cache. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advance.
4. Delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
5. Quit Internet Explorer.
6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:

• proxycfg -d
• net stop wuauserv
• net start wuauserv
</QP>

> ...I'm using comodo firewall,
> however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates

Make sure that only Comodo or the Windows Firewall is enabled at any given
time.

anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? Was a Norton or McAfee
application ever installed on the machine?
--
~PA Bear

dell2350 wrote:
> I have already done the solution mentioned, however nothing seems to solve
> the problem. I'm running windows xp home edition. I'm using comodo
> firewall,
> however if I turn my firewall off, I still can't get windows updates so
> that
> tells me that my firewall is not causing the problem. I never get any
> prompts from my firewall when I go to the windows update webste. Would it
> help if I went to a HiJackThis form and posted a log there, linking my
> forum post here?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> See these archived, previous discussions:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/search?q=0x8024402C&start=0&scoring=d
>>
>> Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> dell2350 wrote:
>>> I posted on here before, but even though I bookmarked my page, I still
>>> can't
>>> find my original post. My question is, If I go to the windows update
>>> website, and I do either a express or a custom scan, I get the following
>>> error message:
<snip>

From: dell2350 on