From: Ivan on
Hi,
My HP Desktop PC running Wins XP got both wired network card, and wireless
network able to connect Internet via Belkin N1 Router with auto DHCP IP
address assigned.
Problem now encountered with the wired network not able to connect Internet,
seemed locked up by unknown? I got to disable the wired network card, and
only enable the wireless network card to access Internet. If I re-enabled
the Wired network card, the network access seemed down again, and cannot
reach any weblink in IE 8. Also, Windows Live Messenger got trouble to
connect with "Default gateway" error problem. Hosts is also shown error too
sometimes.
Initially, IP address in Wired network card seemed not able to repair by
itself, and I did reboot the routers, and PC, but no improvement.
I did reset the Windows firewall setting, and also IE default settings, but
no use.
I disabled the wired network card for sometime, and then re-enabled it,
wired network seemed able to run for a while, but then again shown an unknown
message of "protect or lock...". (I forgot the exact message).
Now, I can only use the wireless to access internet, and disable the wired
network completely. Can anyone help to advise why this problem caused, and
how I can fix the Wired network back to normal. I am not sure any issue
related to Windows registry, or Hosts file, or TCPIP problem.
Regards, Ivan
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
It is not recommended to enable both wired and wireless on a computer that
is multihomed computer. Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net