From: Susanne on
I am on the road with my Acer Netbook, was in Japan, and the wireless + IE 7
worked great,, as did Skype. I came home and attached it to my reg.
broadband, and IE 7 wouldn't come on at all (stationary computer was fine on
same cable). However, it did find wireless in the neighborhood (I don't have
any at home).
I am now in Spain in a hotel, and it is finding the wireless network, but
when IE comes up I am now not only not on, but it also asks me for a user
name (which it seems to want to fill out automatically) but it also wants a
password. I have never given it any, but nontheless tried a few - to no
avail. How do I get past this? I reset my comp date to last Summer when all
was good - but still get the same IE request for id/pwd.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Susanne
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
That could be the Hotel's Wireless credentials. Go down to the Lobby and ask
the clerk.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: smlunatick on
On Jan 4, 11:16 pm, Susanne <Susa...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am on the road with my Acer Netbook, was in Japan, and the wireless + IE 7
> worked great,, as did Skype. I came home and attached it to my reg.
> broadband, and IE 7 wouldn't come on at all (stationary computer was fine on
> same cable). However, it did find wireless in the neighborhood (I don't have
> any at home).
> I am now in Spain in a hotel, and it is finding the wireless network, but
> when IE comes up I am now not only not on, but it also asks me for a user
> name (which it seems to want to fill out automatically) but it also wants a
> password. I have never given it any, but nontheless tried a few - to no
> avail. How do I get past this? I reset my comp date to last Summer when all
> was good - but still get the same IE request for id/pwd.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
> Susanne

This "username" and "password" request is part of the hotel's wireless
Internet set up. It could be set up this "way" to monitor the access
and to insure only the "authorized" guests can access the service.

Pages: 1
Prev: Home network problem
Next: internal ip changes