From: Marti van Lin on
Op 1-6-2010 18:44, Peter schreef:
> In article<3vmdnfkxQ86LtpjRnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com>,
> grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com says...
>> On 6/1/2010 10:36 AM, Marti van Lin wrote:
>>> Hi Windows XP Experts,
>>>
>>> I have a question about Windows XP and Wireless networking.
>>>
>>> Here is the situation:
>>>
>>> I am currently running Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire 7220, which
>>> originally shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Which IMHO was a pig.
>>> Out of frustration I installed several GNU/Linux distributions (mostly
>>> kept up with the latest Ubuntu release) which ran fine.
>>>
>>> My family stays in touch using Skype, yet unfortunately the GNU/Linux
>>> version of Skype is a POS. My family can see and hear me, but I can't
>>> see them.
>>>
>>> So I replaced Ubuntu 10.04 with Microsoft Windows XP Home and after
>>> updates and SP3, Wireless Networking, using WPA2 finally works, but
>>> don't ask how.
>>>
>>> My (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router is connected to a (primary)
>>> Emminent router. Under GNU/Linux I could simply use the (secondary)
>>> wireless router as a access point (the CAT5 UTP cable from the (primary)
>>> Emminent router was simply connected to a random LAN port, which ran
>>> fine under GNU/Linux). Under Windows XP I have to connect the CAT5 UTP
>>> cable from the (primary) Emminent router to the WAN port of the
>>> (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router. Otherwise Windows XP doesn't pick
>>> up the Wireless signal at all.
>>>
>>> I wonder what I've done wrong.
>>
>> I can't tell what's wrong with your scenario, but I can report that I
>> have a similar configuration that works well with several flavors of
>> Windows, including XP Home. A wired linksys router has its WAN port
>> connected to a cable modem, and one of it's LAN ports connected to the
>> LAN port on a wireless Linksys router. In fact, I've done this setup
>> several times with different brands of hardware and not had any problem.
>>
>> Moreover, it seems odd to me that your routers would in any way be
>> affected by your choice of operating system. Maybe you have
>> mal-configured your routers coincident with this OS change, or have some
>> bad drivers on the XP side.
>>

> I have 4 or 5 computers using various incarnations of Windows connect to
> a similar setup (though slightly reversed). Main cable modem goes to
> wireless router. 4 port switch is connected to wireless router through
> standard lan ports. What I did have to do, if I recall, was to turn off
> DHCP on the 4 port switch, which allowed the wireless router to assign
> IPs to all devices connected. Before this I had a hell of a problem
> getting things working.
>
> Other than that it has no problems with any O/S that I connect to it.

Thanks again for all the help and guidance.

I checked out the settings of the Sitecom Wireless router carefully, but
couldn't figure out the cause.

I booted a Ubuntu GNU/Linux Live CD and the wireless connection worked
flawlessly. Thus I installed Windows XP on my dated but still fine
working Athlon XP 2000+ desktop (1 GiB RAM, nVidia FX500 GPU) and will
install Ubuntu 10.04 as a dualboot on the Acer Aspire 7220.

With kind regards,

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 394093

From: Danijel van de Stronthoer on
Marti van Lin "repugnant; would rather jump out of a plane without a
parachute than be seen with a male; has inflexible busties" whose job
is as a teacher objected

> Op 1-6-2010 18:44, Peter schreef:
>> In article<3vmdnfkxQ86LtpjRnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com>,
>> grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com says...

>>> I can't tell what's wrong with your scenario, but I can report that I
>>> have a similar configuration that works well with several flavors of
>>> Windows, including XP Home. A wired linksys router has its WAN port
>>> connected to a cable modem, and one of it's LAN ports connected to the
>>> LAN port on a wireless Linksys router. In fact, I've done this setup
>>> several times with different brands of hardware and not had any problem.
>>>
>>> Moreover, it seems odd to me that your routers would in any way be
>>> affected by your choice of operating system. Maybe you have
>>> mal-configured your routers coincident with this OS change, or have some
>>> bad drivers on the XP side.
>>>

>> I have 4 or 5 computers using various incarnations of Windows connect to
>> a similar setup (though slightly reversed). Main cable modem goes to
>> wireless router. 4 port switch is connected to wireless router through
>> standard lan ports. What I did have to do, if I recall, was to turn off
>> DHCP on the 4 port switch, which allowed the wireless router to assign
>> IPs to all devices connected. Before this I had a hell of a problem
>> getting things working.
>>
>> Other than that it has no problems with any O/S that I connect to it.
>>
> Thanks again for all the help and guidance.
>
> I checked out the settings of the Sitecom Wireless router carefully, but
> couldn't figure out the cause.
>
> I booted a Ubuntu GNU/Linux Live CD and the wireless connection worked
> flawlessly. Thus I installed Windows XP on my dated but still fine working
> Athlon XP 2000+ desktop (1 GiB RAM, nVidia FX500 GPU) and will install
> Ubuntu 10.04

With that "awfull" mono?
Did you ask for Roy's permission?

> With kind regards,

GFIA

--
Barbecue Oriole Pudding with Orange Nehi Marshmallows

Salt Boiled Porcupine Hash with Kool-Aid Dandelions

Boiled Tripe Hash with Sugar-Fried Cheetos