From: Marti van Lin on
Hi Windows XP Experts,

I have a question about Windows XP and Wireless networking.

Here is the situation:

I am currently running Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire 7220, which
originally shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Which IMHO was a pig.
Out of frustration I installed several GNU/Linux distributions (mostly
kept up with the latest Ubuntu release) which ran fine.

My family stays in touch using Skype, yet unfortunately the GNU/Linux
version of Skype is a POS. My family can see and hear me, but I can't
see them.

So I replaced Ubuntu 10.04 with Microsoft Windows XP Home and after
updates and SP3, Wireless Networking, using WPA2 finally works, but
don't ask how.

My (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router is connected to a (primary)
Emminent router. Under GNU/Linux I could simply use the (secondary)
wireless router as a access point (the CAT5 UTP cable from the (primary)
Emminent router was simply connected to a random LAN port, which ran
fine under GNU/Linux). Under Windows XP I have to connect the CAT5 UTP
cable from the (primary) Emminent router to the WAN port of the
(secondary) Sitecom Wireless router. Otherwise Windows XP doesn't pick
up the Wireless signal at all.

I wonder what I've done wrong.

TIA

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 394093

From: Grinder on
On 6/1/2010 10:36 AM, Marti van Lin wrote:
> Hi Windows XP Experts,
>
> I have a question about Windows XP and Wireless networking.
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> I am currently running Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire 7220, which
> originally shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Which IMHO was a pig.
> Out of frustration I installed several GNU/Linux distributions (mostly
> kept up with the latest Ubuntu release) which ran fine.
>
> My family stays in touch using Skype, yet unfortunately the GNU/Linux
> version of Skype is a POS. My family can see and hear me, but I can't
> see them.
>
> So I replaced Ubuntu 10.04 with Microsoft Windows XP Home and after
> updates and SP3, Wireless Networking, using WPA2 finally works, but
> don't ask how.
>
> My (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router is connected to a (primary)
> Emminent router. Under GNU/Linux I could simply use the (secondary)
> wireless router as a access point (the CAT5 UTP cable from the (primary)
> Emminent router was simply connected to a random LAN port, which ran
> fine under GNU/Linux). Under Windows XP I have to connect the CAT5 UTP
> cable from the (primary) Emminent router to the WAN port of the
> (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router. Otherwise Windows XP doesn't pick
> up the Wireless signal at all.
>
> I wonder what I've done wrong.

I can't tell what's wrong with your scenario, but I can report that I
have a similar configuration that works well with several flavors of
Windows, including XP Home. A wired linksys router has its WAN port
connected to a cable modem, and one of it's LAN ports connected to the
LAN port on a wireless Linksys router. In fact, I've done this setup
several times with different brands of hardware and not had any problem.

Moreover, it seems odd to me that your routers would in any way be
affected by your choice of operating system. Maybe you have
mal-configured your routers coincident with this OS change, or have some
bad drivers on the XP side.
From: Marti van Lin on
Op 1-6-2010 17:44, Grinder schreef:
> On 6/1/2010 10:36 AM, Marti van Lin wrote:
>> Hi Windows XP Experts,
>>
>> I have a question about Windows XP and Wireless networking.
>>
>> Here is the situation:
>>
>> I am currently running Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire 7220, which
>> originally shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Which IMHO was a pig.
>> Out of frustration I installed several GNU/Linux distributions (mostly
>> kept up with the latest Ubuntu release) which ran fine.
>>
>> My family stays in touch using Skype, yet unfortunately the GNU/Linux
>> version of Skype is a POS. My family can see and hear me, but I can't
>> see them.
>>
>> So I replaced Ubuntu 10.04 with Microsoft Windows XP Home and after
>> updates and SP3, Wireless Networking, using WPA2 finally works, but
>> don't ask how.
>>
>> My (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router is connected to a (primary)
>> Emminent router. Under GNU/Linux I could simply use the (secondary)
>> wireless router as a access point (the CAT5 UTP cable from the (primary)
>> Emminent router was simply connected to a random LAN port, which ran
>> fine under GNU/Linux). Under Windows XP I have to connect the CAT5 UTP
>> cable from the (primary) Emminent router to the WAN port of the
>> (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router. Otherwise Windows XP doesn't pick
>> up the Wireless signal at all.
>>
>> I wonder what I've done wrong.
>
> I can't tell what's wrong with your scenario, but I can report that I
> have a similar configuration that works well with several flavors of
> Windows, including XP Home. A wired linksys router has its WAN port
> connected to a cable modem, and one of it's LAN ports connected to the
> LAN port on a wireless Linksys router. In fact, I've done this setup
> several times with different brands of hardware and not had any problem.
>
> Moreover, it seems odd to me that your routers would in any way be
> affected by your choice of operating system. Maybe you have
> mal-configured your routers coincident with this OS change, or have some
> bad drivers on the XP side.

Wow, thank you Grinder, that's fast. I'll check out the settings of my
wireless router again ;-)

I downloaded the drivers for my Atheros 802.11b/g adapter from the Acer
website.

Thanks for your guidance!

With kind regards,

From: Peter on
In article <3vmdnfkxQ86LtpjRnZ2dnUVZ_tqdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com>,
grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com says...
> On 6/1/2010 10:36 AM, Marti van Lin wrote:
> > Hi Windows XP Experts,
> >
> > I have a question about Windows XP and Wireless networking.
> >
> > Here is the situation:
> >
> > I am currently running Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire 7220, which
> > originally shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Which IMHO was a pig.
> > Out of frustration I installed several GNU/Linux distributions (mostly
> > kept up with the latest Ubuntu release) which ran fine.
> >
> > My family stays in touch using Skype, yet unfortunately the GNU/Linux
> > version of Skype is a POS. My family can see and hear me, but I can't
> > see them.
> >
> > So I replaced Ubuntu 10.04 with Microsoft Windows XP Home and after
> > updates and SP3, Wireless Networking, using WPA2 finally works, but
> > don't ask how.
> >
> > My (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router is connected to a (primary)
> > Emminent router. Under GNU/Linux I could simply use the (secondary)
> > wireless router as a access point (the CAT5 UTP cable from the (primary)
> > Emminent router was simply connected to a random LAN port, which ran
> > fine under GNU/Linux). Under Windows XP I have to connect the CAT5 UTP
> > cable from the (primary) Emminent router to the WAN port of the
> > (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router. Otherwise Windows XP doesn't pick
> > up the Wireless signal at all.
> >
> > I wonder what I've done wrong.
>
> I can't tell what's wrong with your scenario, but I can report that I
> have a similar configuration that works well with several flavors of
> Windows, including XP Home. A wired linksys router has its WAN port
> connected to a cable modem, and one of it's LAN ports connected to the
> LAN port on a wireless Linksys router. In fact, I've done this setup
> several times with different brands of hardware and not had any problem.
>
> Moreover, it seems odd to me that your routers would in any way be
> affected by your choice of operating system. Maybe you have
> mal-configured your routers coincident with this OS change, or have some
> bad drivers on the XP side.

I have 4 or 5 computers using various incarnations of Windows connect to
a similar setup (though slightly reversed). Main cable modem goes to
wireless router. 4 port switch is connected to wireless router through
standard lan ports. What I did have to do, if I recall, was to turn off
DHCP on the 4 port switch, which allowed the wireless router to assign
IPs to all devices connected. Before this I had a hell of a problem
getting things working.

Other than that it has no problems with any O/S that I connect to it.

--
Pete Ives
From: Claudios ten Protozoen on
"ignorant; doesn't wear knickers; has cute rosebud"

> Op 1-6-2010 17:44, Grinder schreef:
>> On 6/1/2010 10:36 AM, Marti van Lin wrote:
>>> Hi Windows XP Experts,
>>>
>>> I have a question about Windows XP and Wireless networking.
>>>
>>> Here is the situation:
>>>
>>> I am currently running Windows XP Home on my Acer Aspire 7220, which
>>> originally shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Which IMHO was a pig.
>>> Out of frustration I installed several GNU/Linux distributions (mostly
>>> kept up with the latest Ubuntu release) which ran fine.
>>>
>>> My family stays in touch using Skype, yet unfortunately the GNU/Linux
>>> version of Skype is a POS. My family can see and hear me, but I can't
>>> see them.
>>>
>>> So I replaced Ubuntu 10.04 with Microsoft Windows XP Home and after
>>> updates and SP3, Wireless Networking, using WPA2 finally works, but
>>> don't ask how.
>>>
>>> My (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router is connected to a (primary)
>>> Emminent router. Under GNU/Linux I could simply use the (secondary)
>>> wireless router as a access point (the CAT5 UTP cable from the (primary)
>>> Emminent router was simply connected to a random LAN port, which ran
>>> fine under GNU/Linux). Under Windows XP I have to connect the CAT5 UTP
>>> cable from the (primary) Emminent router to the WAN port of the
>>> (secondary) Sitecom Wireless router. Otherwise Windows XP doesn't pick
>>> up the Wireless signal at all.
>>>
>>> I wonder what I've done wrong.
>>
>> I can't tell what's wrong with your scenario, but I can report that I
>> have a similar configuration that works well with several flavors of
>> Windows, including XP Home. A wired linksys router has its WAN port
>> connected to a cable modem, and one of it's LAN ports connected to the
>> LAN port on a wireless Linksys router. In fact, I've done this setup
>> several times with different brands of hardware and not had any problem.
>>
>> Moreover, it seems odd to me that your routers would in any way be
>> affected by your choice of operating system. Maybe you have
>> mal-configured your routers coincident with this OS change, or have some
>> bad drivers on the XP side.
>
> Wow, thank you Grinder, that's fast. I'll check out the settings of my
> wireless router again ;-)
>
> I downloaded the drivers for my Atheros 802..11b/g adapter from the Acer
> website.
>
> Thanks for your guidance!

Your welcome!

> With kind regards,

GFIA

--
Always behave like a duck -- keep calm and unruffled on the surface
but paddle like the devil underneath; Jacob Braude