From: EW_Zuki on

"EW_Zuki" wrote:

> Seems normal.dotm was corrupt.

I wrote that 38 days ago. It turned out that what I thought was a fix,
wasn't, and I gave up on Word until yesterday.

I've come up with a way to use Word 2007 to create Word 2007 docs, without
any hanging (so far, at least).

1. I called Word, which opened with a new, blank doc. I don't know why, but
the font is set to MS Mincho(body Asia) -- actually, I'm guessing at what is
in the parenthesis -- and font size of 10.5.
2. I typed an "A", then changed the font to Verdana 12.
3. I clicked on the Office button and Save as Word Document, assigning
filename "Verdana12.docx" .
4. I put a shortcut for Verdana12.docx, on my Win XP desktop.
5. When I want to create a doc, say with filename My Notes.docx, I call Word
using this shortcut.
6. When Verdana12.docx opens in Word, I immediately Save it as, for example,
My Notes.docx, and proceed from there.
7. So far, this method seems to have solved the hanging problem.

Question: I don't yet understand Templates, but does my "solution"
essentially use one, Verdana12.docx? I'm guessing there's a better way, one
using a real template..

BTW I'm set up to use Japanese when I need to -- in Gmail or Word. I suppose
that's why Word tries to start me out using MS Mincho, which is what I would
use if I were to write in Japanese.
From: Peter T. Daniels on
Do you use Word with a Japanese interface or an English interface?

Is your normal.dotm template set to Japanese or to English in its Set
Language button (Review tab, third column from the left, third item)?
(Open your template with Office Button > Open > Templates, not by
double-clicking on the template's filename.)

From: EW_Zuki on
With an English interface.

Office Button > Open causes Word to hang, every time.

Also, I can't find Normal.dotm. A search in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office, including subfolders, turns up only a EnNormal.dotm.old in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1041