From: Remko Lodder on

> You are really reading much more into my message than was actually put there. Sorry if that's my the style that triggered this. But I would like to assure you that I wasn't even close to put anything against the ports or FreeBSD community.
>
> I communicate to maintainers a lot. And usually quite productive. This case caught attention and I posted on ports@. Brief, just to let people know. That's all to it. I also don't have much time to investigate myself, have hundreds of things to do.
>
> What concerns wordpress problem, that's really all info I have: with the current 8.1 and ports it produces blank output. I really don't have more information.
>
> Thanks,
> Yuri

Fair enough, please consider writing something like "hey, $maintainer, if you are reading this, please understand that your email address is not working" or something so that it's clear
for others that there is something going on but that is not the ports@ problem.

Wordpress has the option to enable debugging, can you please try that? My website (see my signature) is running on 8-STABLE, without issues, version from thursday or something so fairly
recent.

Thanks,
Remko

(p.s. does httpd mention any BUS errors or SEGFAULTS?)

--
/"\ Best regards, | remko(a)FreeBSD.org
\ / Remko Lodder | remko(a)EFnet

From: Doug Barton on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Yuri wrote:

> You are really reading much more into my message than was actually put there.

That's not hard to do. :) I chose to read that part of your message as
if you had said, "Dear FreeBSD ports committers. In trying to contact
the maintainer to report the problem I'm seeing with wordpress the
e-mail that I sent to him bounced. Knowing the hard work that you
already put into the ports system, and appreciating the consistently
high standards with which you do this work, I am sure that you would
want to know about this problem, and take steps to rectify it at your
earliest convenience."

Now I'm _not_ suggesting that every user who pings us about a bouncing
e-mail address should have to write it out like that. But considering
that I was lucky enough to have been born in the place whose language
has become the more or less "lowest common denominator" for
communication on the Internet I choose to always give people the benefit
of the doubt. That's also why my own messages tend to be overly verbose,
in that I try to make sure that I'm communicating in a way that cannot
be misunderstood (even though I frequently fail).

hth,

Doug

a domain name makeover! http://SupersetSolutions.com/

-- Pablo Picasso

From: Yuri on
On 07/20/2010 14:07, Doug Barton wrote:
>> You are really reading much more into my message than was actually
>> put there.
>
> That's not hard to do. :) I chose to read that part of your message
> as if you had said, "Dear FreeBSD ports committers. In trying to
> contact the maintainer to report the problem I'm seeing with wordpress
> the e-mail that I sent to him bounced. Knowing the hard work that you
> already put into the ports system, and appreciating the consistently
> high standards with which you do this work, I am sure that you would
> want to know about this problem, and take steps to rectify it at your
> earliest convenience."
>
> Now I'm _not_ suggesting that every user who pings us about a bouncing
> e-mail address should have to write it out like that. But considering
> that I was lucky enough to have been born in the place whose language
> has become the more or less "lowest common denominator" for
> communication on the Internet I choose to always give people the
> benefit of the doubt. That's also why my own messages tend to be
> overly verbose, in that I try to make sure that I'm communicating in a
> way that cannot be misunderstood (even though I frequently fail).

:-)
Sounds good! I will increase the verbosity level of my messages in the
future to the degree that the aforementioned misinterpretations
likelihood would reduce to the degree satisfactory to all participants
of the communication process.

Yuri

From: Yuri on
On 07/20/2010 13:12, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Wordpress has the option to enable debugging, can you please try that? My website (see my signature) is running on 8-STABLE, without issues, version from thursday or something so fairly
> recent.
>
> Thanks,
> Remko
>
> (p.s. does httpd mention any BUS errors or SEGFAULTS?)

Remko,

No, no BUS or SEGFAULT.
My quick debugging didn't produce much results. This must be some
robustness issue. It looks most likely like an issue in WP itself. So I
filed the PR: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14367

Thanks,
Yuri

From: "Steven Hartland" on