From: Remko Lodder on

On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Yuri wrote:

> My e-mail to the maintainer of www/wordpress bounced.
>
> Please make sure there is the valid maintainer e-email specified for wordpress.
>
> Yuri

Thank you for volunteering to continuesly scan the maintainer addresses whether or not they
are still right and working, and persons are still behind their MAINTAINER Line.

If I am somehow confused by you volunteering, then you wont mind that I tell you that it's a
hideous process and unless you can resolve that, you should learn to live with it. After all
all the ports@ people are doing their very best to keep things working and maintained but
sometimes things fall between the ship and shore.

Somehow I get the feeling that you do not understand Volunteer projects and that you are not
thankfull for the hours people spend on software for YOU.

Thanks,
Remko

--
/"\ Best regards, | remko(a)FreeBSD.org
\ / Remko Lodder | remko(a)EFnet

From: Yuri on
On 07/20/2010 10:45, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Somehow I get the feeling that you do not understand Volunteer projects and that you are not
> thankfull for the hours people spend on software for YOU.

Remko,

What makes you think that I "do not understand Volunteer projects" and
"not thankfull for the hours people spend"?

I just reported the issue with the maintainer's e-mail. Since I don't
have the commit privileges the only thing I can do aboutn this is to
report it to ports@. Am I wrong?

Yuri

From: Wesley Shields on
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:52:34AM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> On 07/20/2010 10:45, Remko Lodder wrote:
> > Somehow I get the feeling that you do not understand Volunteer projects and that you are not
> > thankfull for the hours people spend on software for YOU.
> >

> Remko,
>
> What makes you think that I "do not understand Volunteer projects" and
> "not thankfull for the hours people spend"?
>
> I just reported the issue with the maintainer's e-mail. Since I don't
> have the commit privileges the only thing I can do aboutn this is to
> report it to ports@. Am I wrong?

You can submit a PR stating that the maintainer address bounced for you.
A committer can pick it up and reset the maintainer if it did indeed
bounce.

-- WXS

From: Remko Lodder on

On Jul 20, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Yuri wrote:

> On 07/20/2010 10:45, Remko Lodder wrote:
>> Somehow I get the feeling that you do not understand Volunteer projects and that you are not
>> thankfull for the hours people spend on software for YOU.
>>

> Remko,
>
> What makes you think that I "do not understand Volunteer projects" and "not thankfull for the hours people spend"?
>
> I just reported the issue with the maintainer's e-mail. Since I don't have the commit privileges the only thing I can do aboutn this is to report it to ports@. Am I wrong?

Not about the mentioned parts.

But you are about:

"Please make sure there is the valid maintainer e-email specified for wordpress."

Without context and the like (should I mention that the original report to the maintainer's email address is "lacking information" ?) you seem to have this against
the entire Ports Community. That can only be resolved if you volunteer to do the work to make it happen. Else you need to learn to live with it that sometimes
addresses get bogus. Did you consider that the guy might have been taken out of his email? that ther emight be issues at the provider? That he might have changed
ISP's and didn't change email addresses yet? Or one of the many other reasons that we can think of?

Its like this: You emailed with limited information, to an email address that is currently not responding. Whether that has it's reasons or not, or whether that's on purpose
is something we cannot comment on and need to see whether this might or might not is a problem.

On the other end: i tested this and his primairy MX seems to refuse connections, whilst the secondary does not allow relay. That might be a transient problem.

Please wait and see, and file a PR in case this is a real problem for you.

From: Yuri on
On 07/20/2010 12:11, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Not about the mentioned parts.
>
> But you are about:
>
> "Please make sure there is the valid maintainer e-email specified for wordpress."
>
> Without context and the like (should I mention that the original report to the maintainer's email address is "lacking information" ?) you seem to have this against
> the entire Ports Community. That can only be resolved if you volunteer to do the work to make it happen. Else you need to learn to live with it that sometimes
> addresses get bogus. Did you consider that the guy might have been taken out of his email? that ther emight be issues at the provider? That he might have changed
> ISP's and didn't change email addresses yet? Or one of the many other reasons that we can think of?
>
> Its like this: You emailed with limited information, to an email address that is currently not responding. Whether that has it's reasons or not, or whether that's on purpose
> is something we cannot comment on and need to see whether this might or might not is a problem.
>
> On the other end: i tested this and his primairy MX seems to refuse connections, whilst the secondary does not allow relay. That might be a transient problem.
>
> Please wait and see, and file a PR in case this is a real problem for you.

You are really reading much more into my message than was actually put
there. Sorry if that's my the style that triggered this. But I would
like to assure you that I wasn't even close to put anything against the
ports or FreeBSD community.

I communicate to maintainers a lot. And usually quite productive. This
case caught attention and I posted on ports@. Brief, just to let people
know. That's all to it. I also don't have much time to investigate
myself, have hundreds of things to do.

What concerns wordpress problem, that's really all info I have: with the
current 8.1 and ports it produces blank output. I really don't have more
information.

Thanks,
Yuri