From: SamuelXiao on
Hi all,
I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
select's behavior looks like FF. http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-off-options-in-ie-fix/
has a good example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried
the example, the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
onfocus. Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

Any help would be appreciated.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
SamuelXiao wrote:

> I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
> workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
> select's behavior looks like FF.
> http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-off-options-in-ie-fix/ has a good
> example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
> the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
> onfocus. Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
> element's width can be separated/different from options' width?

First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
otherwise. *Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
*always* be done better then. In short: jQuery is JUNK. DO NOT USE.
(Shoot on sight ;-))

So you only need to implement what is described "In plain English" there.

HTH

PointedEars, clicking away yet another warning message saying "A script on
this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. ... Script:
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js:12" in the
Zattoo Web player (in Iceweasel 3.5.6).
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk> (2004)
From: David Mark on
On Jan 5, 12:33 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> SamuelXiao wrote:
> > I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
> > workaround to suit my application.  What I want to do is to make the
> > select's behavior looks like FF.
> >http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-off-options-in-ie-fix/has a good
> > example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
> > the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
> > onfocus.  Is there any way to make it looks like FF?  The select
> > element's width can be separated/different from options' width?
>
> First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
> that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
> otherwise.  *Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
> jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
> *always* be done better then.  In short: jQuery is JUNK.  DO NOT USE.
> (Shoot on sight ;-))

All targets are now free. :)
From: SamuelXiao on
On Jan 6, 1:33 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> SamuelXiao wrote:
> > I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
> > workaround to suit my application.  What I want to do is to make the
> > select's behavior looks like FF.
> >http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-off-options-in-ie-fix/has a good
> > example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
> > the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
> > onfocus.  Is there any way to make it looks like FF?  The select
> > element's width can be separated/different from options' width?
>
> First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
> that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
> otherwise.  *Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
> jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
> *always* be done better then.  In short: jQuery is JUNK.  DO NOT USE.
> (Shoot on sight ;-))
>
> So you only need to implement what is described "In plain English" there.
>
> HTH
>
> PointedEars, clicking away yet another warning message saying "A script on
> this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. ... Script:http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js:12" in the
> Zattoo Web player (in Iceweasel 3.5.6).
> --
> Danny Goodman's books are out of date and teach practices that are
> positively harmful for cross-browser scripting.
>  -- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300d...(a)news.demon.co.uk> (2004)

Actually, I want to make it looks like FF which the width of <select>
can be separated from width of <option>, but the example provided
doesn't work exactly like that. Anyway, I use the plain English to
write the code, now a workaround has been done. Thanks all!
From: David Mark on
SamuelXiao wrote:
> On Jan 6, 1:33 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
> wrote:
>> SamuelXiao wrote:
>>> I have been searching google for hours but still cannot get a
>>> workaround to suit my application. What I want to do is to make the
>>> select's behavior looks like FF.
>>> http://css-tricks.com/select-cuts-off-options-in-ie-fix/has a good
>>> example but I am not allowed to use JQuery and even I tried the example,
>>> the select box will automactically widen when onmouseover/
>>> onfocus. Is there any way to make it looks like FF? The select
>>> element's width can be separated/different from options' width?
>> First of all, you need to understand that jQuery is _not_ some book of magic
>> that, when its spells are cast, lets you do something that could not be done
>> otherwise. *Everything* that can be done with jQuery can be done without
>> jQuery, and, considering the error-prone, inefficient code of jQuery, it can
>> *always* be done better then. In short: jQuery is JUNK. DO NOT USE.
>> (Shoot on sight ;-))
>>
>> So you only need to implement what is described "In plain English" there.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> PointedEars, clicking away yet another warning message saying "A script on
>> this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. ... Script:http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery..min.js:12" in the
>> Zattoo Web player (in Iceweasel 3.5.6).

LOL. Ain't that the kiss of death. And using Google hosting too.
Somebody has some splaining to do. :)

[...]

> Actually, I want to make it looks like FF which the width of <select>
> can be separated from width of <option>, but the example provided
> doesn't work exactly like that. Anyway, I use the plain English to
> write the code, now a workaround has been done. Thanks all!

Congratulations on _not_ using jQuery. ;)