From: David Mark on
I've decided to release My Library under some sort of free license.
Haven't thought about free licenses in a long time (decades), so I am
open to ideas.

Anything to prevent the exponential growth of JS futility like this;-

http://github.com/jrburke/blade

I don't think that thing even warrants a review and there are dozens
more like it popping up. Enough is enough. :)
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jan 4, 6:38 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided to release My Library under some sort of free license.
> Haven't thought about free licenses in a long time (decades), so I am
> open to ideas.

Dual-license under MIT and GPL (user can choose). That covers most
users that I've ever encountered.

Although I suspect you aren't "open" enough to like MIT ;)

Matt Kruse
From: David Mark on
On Jan 4, 10:29 pm, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 6:38 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've decided to release My Library under some sort of free license.
> > Haven't thought about free licenses in a long time (decades), so I am
> > open to ideas.
>
> Dual-license under MIT and GPL (user can choose). That covers most
> users that I've ever encountered.
>
> Although I suspect you aren't "open" enough to like MIT ;)

The source will _never_ be open to "test-driven" patching by anyone
with a PC, that's for sure. :) But I'm not sure what that has to do
with the licensing.

I'll look into them. Thanks.
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> I've decided to release My Library under some sort of free license.
> Haven't thought about free licenses in a long time (decades), so I am
> open to ideas.

Why not use Dojo?

> Anything to prevent the exponential growth of JS futility like this;-
>
> http://github.com/jrburke/blade

He's got some goals there. Didn't peek at the code.
--
Garrett
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 4, 7:38 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided to release My Library under some sort of free license.
> Haven't thought about free licenses in a long time (decades), so I am
> open to ideas.

Well, I guess it depends upon what you mean by free license.

What do you want to allow users to do with the code?

- View it? We all know that they will anyway.

- Steal^H^H^H^H^H Borrow heavily from it? Ditto.

- Modify it and release incompatible versions of it? Most FOSS
licenses allow this, and the major discriminator between them is
whether they require the modified versions to maintain the same
license.

- Do whatever the hell they want with it as long as they don't
bother or blame you? Most of the BSD or MIT style licenses are pretty
good for this.

Matt's suggestion is a good one if you really don't care too much
about how they use it as long as they don't try to blame you for
problems or credit you for their distortions of your code. MIT / GPL
covers the spectrum comfortably.

-- Scott