From: Matt Sach on
On Jan 5, 10:57 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> As for the "goals":-
>
> * Mobile is more important than Internet Explorer
>
> Apples are more important than oranges? :)

I think "lemon" would be a more appropriate citrus fruit to represent
IE ;)

I've been looking at My Library, due to your arguments against jQuery.
I've already been stripping jQuery out of code at home since starting
to read c.l.js, as the detailed arguments against it here have
clarified my own uneasy feelings about including such a huge pile for
(usually) simple tasks.

A more permissive license for My Library would help me try to wean
other webdevs at my office off their jQuery dependence. I've been
trying to push them myself, in order to get them thinking and learning
(not necessarily from my tutelage; I'm certainly nowhere near you and
others here), but it's very difficult to get folks to learn when they
have an "easy" way out that they already know. It's my own fault,
really; I encouraged them to use it in the first place because I could
see some of them waving dead chickens over their javascript to get
things working. I should have made them learn, rather than make it
"easier" for them :(

Matt
From: David Mark on
On Jan 6, 6:36 am, Matt Sach <matts...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 10:57 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As for the "goals":-
>
> >     * Mobile is more important than Internet Explorer
>
> > Apples are more important than oranges?  :)
>
> I think "lemon" would be a more appropriate citrus fruit to represent
> IE ;)

Touché. :)

> I've been looking at My Library, due to your arguments against jQuery.

That's a good side effect.

> I've already been stripping jQuery out of code at home since starting
> to read c.l.js, as the detailed arguments against it here have
> clarified my own uneasy feelings about including such a huge pile for
> (usually) simple tasks.

Yes. And even if it were a pile of something _good_. ;)

> A more permissive license for My Library would help me try to wean
> other webdevs at my office off their jQuery dependence.

NP. It's coming. But try to let them know that they don't need a
_general_ pile of anything to do cross-browser scripting.

> I've been
> trying to push them myself, in order to get them thinking and learning
> (not necessarily from my tutelage; I'm certainly nowhere near you and
> others here), but it's very difficult to get folks to learn when they
> have an "easy" way out that they already know.

All you have to do is demonstrate how it fails. :) As for help doing
that, it's coming (is it ever). For anyone who hasn't seen the signs,
cinsoft.net is going to be the new quirksmode.org (for libraries and
frameworks, rather than browsers). Oh, and with competent
explanations. :)

> It's my own fault,
> really; I encouraged them to use it in the first place because I could
> see some of them waving dead chickens over their javascript to get
> things working.

So you gave them a turkey? We all make mistakes. The learning curve
is steep in this business. Admitting the mistakes is the first step
to recovery.

> I should have made them learn, rather than make it
> "easier" for them :(

Sounds like you got it! :)
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jan 6, 7:05 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> For anyone who hasn't seen the signs,
> cinsoft.net is going to be the new quirksmode.org (for libraries and
> frameworks, rather than browsers).

ETA?

Matt Kruse
From: David Mark on
Matt Kruse wrote:
> On Jan 6, 7:05 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> For anyone who hasn't seen the signs,
>> cinsoft.net is going to be the new quirksmode.org (for libraries and
>> frameworks, rather than browsers).
>
> ETA?

I should have the initial effort up later this month.
From: Lasse Reichstein Nielsen on
Jorge <jorge(a)jorgechamorro.com> writes:

> On Jan 5, 1:38�am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've decided to release My Library under some sort of free license.
>> Haven't thought about free licenses in a long time (decades), so I am
>> open to ideas.
>
> "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil" ?

Bad idea. It lacks a definition of both "Good" and "Evil", making the
license ambiguous, and if it had one, it would probably run afoul of
the Open Source Definition (6. No Discrimination Against Fields of
Endeavor).

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Holst Nielsen