From: Tim Little on
On 2010-06-25, Heelium <qtvali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, that Turings undecideability proof is disproved by me. Why
> you think there is no general case algorithm?

Because Turing's proof is valid, and yours is not.

- Tim
From: Joshua Cranmer on
On 06/25/2010 02:37 AM, Heelium wrote:
> In real world we have real computers with limited memory - we actually
> target only those. And for them we have algorithms, which have some
> upper limit.

Most modern "interesting" programs do not rely on just the computer's
memory for their current state. Multithreaded programs also have thread
scheduling as the major source of nondeterminism; I/O (both local and
network), can be another source. Some programs will also use a hardware
random number generator. By the time you aggregate all of these sources
of nonrandomness, your "real world" algorithm would have to
mind-boggling amounts of memory even to handle tiny programs.

> Anyway, that Turings undecideability proof is disproved by me. Why you
> think there is no general case algorithm?

Your approach relies on you knowing the upper bound for memory, which is
undecidable in the general case.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
From: Heelium on
I did show now that my disproof does not apply - it's formal, but it
does not prove reality behind that formalness of Turings proof
false ;) We can not disprove his proof.

From: Heelium on
Look at my 1D Cellular Automata solver in this list.

From: Heelium on
On Jun 26, 1:03 am, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeo...(a)verizon.invalid> wrote:
> Most modern "interesting" programs do not rely on just the computer's
> memory for their current state. Multithreaded programs also have thread
> scheduling as the major source of nondeterminism; I/O (both local and
> network), can be another source. Some programs will also use a hardware
> random number generator. By the time you aggregate all of these sources
> of nonrandomness, your "real world" algorithm would have to
> mind-boggling amounts of memory even to handle tiny programs.

Joshua, I did already fix that in what I call 1D Cellular Automata
solver - it does check if cycles are going to grow into infinity. Now
I am working on program topology to add solution to Halting Problem
and class of similar problems.