From: jmparsons3 on
I have just installed Windows7 on a clean partition of my computer. I
have good wireless access to the internet, but I am suddenly no longer
able to see the other computers in my wokgroup. I have checked the
name of the computer and the workgroup name, and everything looks
okay--I just can't see the other two computers in that workgroup.

When I reboot to Vista on the same machine, everything is fine.

I have McAfee anti Virus installed, but am not using the McAfee
firewall. I m also not using the Windows firewall.

Any suggestions where I should start looking to solve the problem?

Joe Parsons
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
Can you ping each other by IP? If yes, can you ping each other by name? Also
try clean boot for troubleshooting.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot � How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking � How to setup DHCP for IP Phone � How to setup and use Wake
on LAN ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: jmparsons3 on
On Dec 8, 6:41 am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...(a)chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> Can you ping each other by IP? If yes, can you ping each other by name? Also
> try clean boot for troubleshooting.
> Windows general
>       How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
> with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and use Wake
> on LAN ...
>      www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "jmparsons3" <jmparso...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have just installed Windows7 on a clean partition of my computer. I
> > have good wireless access to the internet, but I am suddenly no longer
> > able to see the other computers in my wokgroup. I have checked the
> > name of the computer and the workgroup name, and everything looks
> > okay--I just can't see the other two computers in that workgroup.
>
> > When I reboot to Vista on the same machine, everything is fine.
>
> > I have McAfee anti Virus installed, but am not using the McAfee
> > firewall. I m also not using the Windows firewall.
>
> > Any suggestions where I should start looking to solve the problem?
>
> > Joe Parsons- Hide quoted text -

I can ping at least one of the computers on the network.
Interestingly, there is another user who has just joined our company.
I can see him, but not the others. Like me, he is running Win 7. The
two other computers are running XP SP2.

I was able to see the other computers on this system when I first
started up, but they disappeared. When I reboot to the Vista
partition, there is no problem.
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
Are they in the same workgroup? Have you enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
Post the results of both windows 7 and XP ipconfig /all may help.

From: jmparsons3 on
On Dec 9, 7:57 am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...(a)chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> Are they in the same workgroup? Have you enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
> Post the results of both windows 7 and XP ipconfig /all may help.

They are in the same workgroup. I don't know how to enable NetBIOS.

Interestingly, I started the day with everything working fine--I could
see the other computers just fine. Also, even though I am not able to
see the other computers using Explorer, I have one application mappd
to a network drive, and that still works.

Here's the ipconfig for the Win 7 machine:

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::99d9:b3ee:be4b:478a%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.10.100

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
2001:0:4137:9e50:10e5:3c4f:f5fe:f59b
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10e5:3c4f:f5fe:f59b%16
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.{785FD3D4-4989-4D4A-B932-3795B4BC6EC2}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Here it is for the XP machine:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

And now I can see the other computers again! I have made no changes in
the configuraton of either systm!

A mystery...any ideas?

Joe Parsons